1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How Much Do You Practice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TerribleTim68, Aug 21, 2019.

1. walking Bass

walking Bass Supporting Member

May 24, 2005
    Northern California
    When I started bass in 1964, I practiced obsessively (most waking hours). Most of my adult life I didn't play or practice at all. Now retired, I practice technique or play along with music about 2 hours/day and also play guitar occasionally.

MonetBass likes this.
  2. Susqmike

Susqmike

Nov 15, 2011
    For more years than I can count, i wake every morning at 3:00 am so i can get in 1-1.5 hours in before work. "Practice" usually takes about a quarter of my playing time and includes warm-up and exploring a different key or technique. The rest of the time is for exploring ideas, working them out and just jamming...

3. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    Practice?? :bag:

4. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Not nearly as much as I should. But then I'm not playing with a band or working on an album, so there you go.

5. Rarely. Usually if I need to learn a new song with unfamiliar licks and have to get them in my muscle memory. I was Blessed by the Lord with the ability to pick up music very quickly. "Hum a few bars and I'll fake it" if you will. Not trying to sound arrogant but I've always found practicing at home by myself boring (unless I need to learn something difficult). In some ways I envy people that practice a lot by themselves but it's just not me. I enjoy the interaction with other players in a band and that's where I prefer to practice.

MonetBass likes this.
  6. I practice as much as I need to. I intend on practicing everyday. However, in my life anyway, that's not possible. So I usually practice about 3 nights during the week (M-F) for about 3-4 hours at a time. On the weekends I go hog wild and usually practice from around 11:30pm until I start getting goofy tired... 3 or 4am.

7. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    I usually play a couple 4 hour gigs a week, so I guess I'm not the target of the OP. I play 30 to 60 minutes a day, about 80% bass and the rest split between guitar and synth, or occasionally percussion/drums. Sometimes I take a few days off if I'm really stagnating.

8. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I actually "practice" more when I am in between projects. While I am in an (original) band most of my limited practice time outside of rehearsals is focused on writing new material and keeping sharp on the bass parts for the band's set. I don't usually do much work on my technical abilities unless it is necessary in order to comfortably play a particular bass part in one of the band's tunes. If I am not in a band, I'll typically brush up on theory and do more intricate technical work since I'm not spending time on rehearsals or any particular band's songs.

onda'bass likes this.
  9. Check out Rocksmith, either as the game on watch it on the Youtubes. It's a great learning tool.

bpc, TerribleTim68 and Nebula24 like this.
  10. B-Lo

B-Lo One day I'll figure out how to play this thing... Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Northern Alabama
    I would love to practice for at least an hour a day, but all life affords me with all my other competing priorities and hobbies is around 15-30 minutes a day...more on the weekends.

If I'm in the rotation to play in church on a given Sunday, I'll shift priorities and some other things fall by the wayside for a few days while I prep for the upcoming Sunday's set list.

11. bassfuser

bassfuser

Jul 16, 2008
    I know what you mean. Practice without a goal will kind of leave you hanging. I guess my goal is to apply what I'm studying to actual music instead of just playing exercises but that's easier said than done.

eJake likes this.
  12. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    I play guitar every day and bass once a week maybe.

I am learning guitar and know bass pretty well though.

13. Yeah, this has been mentioned a few times, I may need to look into this.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  14. Not enough.

However, I must begin stepping up very soon. I just joined a new orchestra/jazz band and was given a few songs I need to learn. They provided sheet music which I've already printed so I just need to sit down with them for awhile. I'm looking forward to this. Having played rock & metal pretty much all of my music past, I wanted to step out of my comfort zone attempt something different.

wesonbass and MonetBass like this.
  15. I've been learning for 6 months now. I do not yet play in a band.
    I practice between 45 min and 1.5h every day.
    I also take lessons, an hour every week. My teacher says I'm progressing quickly. I take his word for it, since I don't really have a point of comparison.

16. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    Using a log is a great tool I'm not bashing it at all. In a way I still have one cuz I take pics of my white board every week.

bassfuser likes this.
  17. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    Not nearly as often as I should

18. No Malarky

No Malarky

May 27, 2010
    As often as I can. Life sorta gets in the way.

TerribleTim68 likes this.
  19. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    Don't know if it qualifies as practice but I play/learn/practice about 12 hours a week *give or take

20. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    1- 2 hours a day whether gigging or not.