How much do you Practice?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by semborg, Mar 12, 2005.

Practice time/day

Poll closed Mar 19, 2005.
  1. < 30 minutes

2. 1 hour

3. 3 hours

4. 5 hours

5. More than 5 hours

0 vote(s)
  1. Well, the thread title says everything.
    How much do you pracitce? :smug:
  2. i put an hour, usually more like two, i mostly practice upright, my electric skills have been lacking as of late
  3. Oh well, I usually practice 30-45-60 minutes, or maybe only five ,. whatever I can get in... Lately I've been practicing for an hour or more though,... just walking basslines, and my own stuff, slight modifcations to things, repeditive playing of small riffs... I've definately noticed a difference in my speed... :bassist:
  4. Spectorphile

Mar 8, 2005
    Who can get more than 5 Hours in one day? Ok well if you're still at school... still... man i wish i had that kind of time!
  5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    So, are we talking serious practice or just noodling around. I find that my actual practice time is close to nothing lately, but I do spend alot of time noodling.
  6. An Hour of practicing, more time noodling around...i spend a little more time on my banjo now since i'm just starting to learn it
  7. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I usually put in 2 hours of practicing by myself, with a 45 minute jazz class.
  8. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Being a PhD student, I don't get much time to practice daily, so I try to get 15 minutes of scales in every night before I go to sleep.

If I had more free time, I'd be happily practicing 2+ hours a day.
  9. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I usually practice for about an hour, or maybe a bit more.

10. I've been playing about 5 hours a week lately. My job makes it impossible to play everyday, so I play the nights I'm home. And as for how much of that time is practice--maybe 1/2. I spend time just picking out a new bass line from a song I've heard and practicing old songs I know. I consider the time I spend playing scales, running drills, playing repetetive riffs with my metronome to be practice, the rest is just a chance for me to unwind.

The practice part is rewarding after you've put in a lot of work, the noodling part is rewarding in and of itself. So I get a little bit of both, and it keeps me interested and motivated. :p
  11. i put under 30 minuets for when i'm alone, but during band practice i go as long as 2-4 hours
  12. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Not enough, fo sho.
  13. I really like Ramen, udon is good, vercimelli.. Oh oops,... wrong forum... lol :bassist:
    I noodle alot actually it makes up most of my "practice" time,... lately though I've wanted to be a part of the sunday night jam at a local jazz bar so I've been practicing walking basslines all over the neck....
    But noodling definatly takes up most of my time.. trying to find new and innovative ways to play things
    (at least to me anyways)
  14. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    This is me. What is really bad is when I'm at work I think playing bass all day when i get home. Then I get home I seem to start doing other stuff. Then when I do pick up the bass I just noodle because I don't think I have enough time to really start to dig into practicing.

I told my wife the other day I think i know what the problem is. If I start to practice on a regular bassis the way I really want to I'll find out how bad I really do stink, or mabe i'm just afraid of success.

One thing I thought about doing is treating it like another job. When I get home just start practicing. No TV, No Internet(TB) no games(the are the devil) and no house work.
    I need to hurry up tho...Im not geting any younger.
  15. Since I'm at university this year I have to practice all the assignments that they have given me
    So I'm at the moment practicing over 5 hours a day just to keep up with the work that I have to do and I've only been there for three weeks
    But last year I was more playing gigs than practicing