Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how much is it to replace a windshield?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hiderebirth, Oct 20, 2005.

1. so, I was on my way to school today when a rock (I'm guessing it's a rock) hit my windshield and now my windshield has a crack.
    is there a some cheaper way to fix this without having to replace my windshield or do I have to replace it?

2. NJ doesn't do free glass w/ insurance? Crazy. In yer case, if paid for, depends on the complexity of the glass itself, money wise. You are going to have to replace it by inspection time.
    Good luck.

3. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Depends on how big the crack is. I've heard that if it's under 2" and doesn't go all the way to the edge, it can be repaired.

Depends on your vehicle, but I would plan on around $300-400 for a new one. Insurance usually covers anything beyond your deductible.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    When that happened to me, my insurance took care of it.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's cheaper if you replace it with saran wrap instead of glass.

brad cook

6. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Or you could use that 3M window film (be sure to use the blow dryer on it to stretch it out). That baby ought to sing at highway speed.

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Glass guy that comes out to your office quoted me $175 for
    my Volvo S-70 if I was paying myself. That was this spring.

8. It will be $10 more than your deductable for windows.

Randy

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

I had mine replaced for $107.25

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    It would help to know what kind of car you have.

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    If the crack is only few inches long, it possibly can be grinded and patched with acrylic of some sort - of course this doesn't remove the crack, but makes it less visible and stops it from spreading. Crack repairs are something like $50-75, I believe.

I recently had a stone hit grow into a foot-long crack on my '98 Nissan, despite the attempts to stop it. The Nissan dealer quoted me $400 for a replacement, the glass store next door $200. I wondered the price difference with the glass store girl and she noted "oh, well, they just like their profit margin - we do all the replacements for them.." :rolleyes:

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Wow...just tacking on $200 bucks. :rolleyes:

brad cook

13. I drive this thing

[​IMG]

hyundai xg 350

mine's older model though

14. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    prolly around 250 or 300

i wouldn't get it replaced until right before inspection.

never know if it'll happen again.

15. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Off of the Safelite auto glass website https://www.safelite.com (no affiliation), they gave a quote of $246.15 before tax to replace the whole window in a 2005 xg350. I took a guess and said that you don't have rain sensors which turn on your wipers. That's a ballpark cost for a full replacement. I had my GTI windshield replaced this past Monday and it was over $300 (damn Germans).

16. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yeah, well, of course it could be some kind of fancy original parts Nissan windshield, but $200 difference? Don't think so..

17. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Cracks in windshields always grow...

There are a few companies in town that will come to you and replace a cracked windshield. This might be more convenient and not cost more, depending on if this type of business exists in your town.

18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Why the hell is this so expensive for everyone else?

I had mine installed for just over $100!

19. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I have a 1" crack in the windshield of my Camaro that's been there for 12+ years, and has never grown.

Maybe I should play the lottery? :D

Fwiw, no windshield company will try to repair it because it's in the drivers line of vision.

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    :p That's what I was thinking!!

A lot also depends on whether you use original glass or aftermarket. Aftermarket is cheaper and is usually just as good, but perhaps not always.

I had the windshield on my car replaced by Safelite, and my insurance paid for it. I have no complaints about the non-VW glass they used, only about the way-overly generous amount of sealant goop they put around it.