1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How much should you be paying for a Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oldprussians, May 5, 2010.

1. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    United Republic of Europe
    IT Professional!
    Not sure I've titled this thread well.....

What I mean is How much should you be paying for a non Euro\N.American bass?

It occurs to me...... There are only a few Korean, Indonesian, China instrument factories. The do all the OEM for the big brands!

So.....
    Shine do Peavy, Ibanez, and others, as well as their own.
    The other companies the others...

Now if a bass has the specs you want, what difference is there if it has Ibanez, Peavey or what ever on the headstock. It going to be built by the same operative! The quality, blind folded is going to be the same!

I one looks at this bass:
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_c5nt.htm

it costs around 300, the Ibanez equivalent costs a bit more, is the Ibanez worth more when its probably made by the same bloke!

Also, stupid Warwick, when the Korean Corvettes come in September priced at around 700, do they really offer 700 worth of bass ,when one speced the same out of the same factory, probably built by the same operative, with a different label costs half or even less that half the price.

Hence above a certain price threshold isn't it better to buy Euro\N.American, where you pay for that Euro\N.American Quality?

I mean if one will pay 700 for a Korean made Corvette std Passive, isn't it better to buy a Cunnuck made Godin Freeway, albeit with less frets?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/godin_freeway_5_bass.htm

Just some thoughts, I wait for the Mad assaults.

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Assault #1.

:eyebrow:

3. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    Actually, Korean made instruments aren't all that bad, it's the Chinese ones that are generally not going to be anything about £300... Some might say even that is pushing it.

4. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    is this Canada vs Korea? or Warwick vs Godin? question?

5. @OP:

I don't have any factual data to back up a firm answer, but I'll throw my two cents:

I do have a 44-01 made in Korea Lakland and it's very well made; I believe it deserves the 700$ new.

I also think that those korean factories are able to build basses to your specs; you want a 300$ bass, you get a 300$ bass, but the same worker may also very well have a 700$ spec'ed guitar on his bench, or a 1700$ one, for that matter.

Of course, if that bass is a famous brand, you may end up paying a bit extra just for the name ( thanks lord Sony ain't building basses :D ) but otherwise, I believe that, for the korean mass produced basses, you pretty much get what you're paying for.

Regards,
    Adrian

6. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    IT Professional!
    They were just examples!

The question is where is the price cut off point for a far eastern instrument!

I would say 1 is the lowest priced Euro\N.American made.

and 2 is the lowest priced same spec,(electronics\wood\neckthrubody\ect) instrument, out of the relevant factory!

In other words if you want a Fender, it has to be an American
    if you want a Warwick it has to be German.

If you want Far eastern instrument just make sure you aren't paying for the label with regards what other stuff is coming out of that factory

7. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Interesting thoughts. Now that you mention Godin there is a beautiful 4 string in a local pawn shop that I have been Gassing over, but they just wont drop the price!

8. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    You are comparing only production, and not the engineering, the sourcing of materials, etc. That plays alot into the price, as does how much QC the brand is willing to pay for...for instance, when they contract one of these builders(say CorTek) what tolerances will they expect the manufacturer to keep. How far are they allowed differences from the original engineered plans...that's just some of the differences.
    So yes, I think you more or less get what you pay for. The bigger brands can afford to pay the bill to be sure they get what they pay for. Everything I have from Cor-Tek is top notch instruments.

9. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    IT Professional!
    Yea but my point is if you know something is made by Cort, you can get the Cort bass with the same spec a lot lot cheaper!

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm more of a Fender guy...:bag:

11. Personally, I'd go for the Godin, but I'm not speaking through blind patriotism. For me, buying something by Brand X is a gesture of support for that brand. I believe that Cort's crass treatment of its workers is pretty well documented, and I refuse to support that. Godin is a company made up of fairly happy, well-motivated workers, and I find that to be worth rewarding with my money.

Godin products also tend to be very good for the money.

Full disclosure: I have a Korean-made Lakland 55-02 that came from a Cort factory. If I'd known then what I know now, I'd have likely changed my purchase. Also, I find that the prices on the Laklands to be a *little* high.

12. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    you lump all the far east instuments in the same category, period.

Can't get past that in what is a very unclear topic.

13. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    My point is, they are not the same.

They use different prints and have different specs and requirements, depending on the company, even if they come from the same factory.

14. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

It's all in the quality control of what the company will accept.

I'd never buy anything Godin again.. ever.

15. Yoips! What went wrong?

16. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    So what you are saying, Oldprussians, is that everything that comes out from the same factory should have the same price? Because it's "made by the same operative"?

If you are in the manufacturing line you will know that factories can manufacture your products to any price point. Tolerances, materials. I've seen a ten-fold price difference in the price of small, metal parts due to the accuracy of dimensions, and the accuracy of thickness of electro-plating required. This is large scale, almost fully automated CNC metal part making. What makes you think bass building will not have the same options for tolerances, not to mention materials?

Or do you also think that a MIA Standard P and a MIA Steve Bailey J should be the same price too? You know, since they come from the same factory?

I also sense a lot of racism here. Why EXACTLY is a N.American/Canadian bass BETTER than a Japanese/Korean/Chinese/Indonesian bass?

17. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    IT Professional!
    Why not?

18. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    +1. Except that it was my guitarist who had a Godin, not me.

Crummy build quality. His guitar literally fell apart in a year. IIRC it weighed a ton, too.

19. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

Apr 28, 2010
    O'Fallon, IL
    It depends on the bass (and the manufacturer's quality control), not the country of origin. I love my Lakland Skyline Hollowbody, which was built in Korea, then finished in the USA. I have three other basses built in the USA (G&L L-2000, Fender P and Kramer), one built in Mexico (Fender J), and one built in Japan (Fender Aerodyne P). My amp (Little Mark Tube) comes from Italy, and my cabs came from the USA (Ear Candy).

20. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    IT Professional!
    Wow wow wow!

Easy on the racism! Hey I believe one planet one people!

Look I would always but e European car, specially German, or Italian Sports car, over anything! Why? Because there is a heritage in that sort of thing, "Cuore sportivo"! Knowing perfectly how they are made doesn't make you a great car manufacture. Far eastern cars are technically perfect, but just don't "feel" right, they don't have "soul". Yes if you need to go from a to b, efficiently, without breaking down, any far eastern car is good. But people don't just want to travel from a to b, they want to feel good driving it.

No matter how professional the chef is Westerners trying to do far eastern cuisine always tastes rubbish!

Now I have done a research on patterns in music, for example.

Why is it that some people say, that the way far eastern players play music is different to western people. Why is that? Pure racism, or is that anything else? Well, how you compose and play music is directly influenced by your native tongue, due to inflections. So Debussy, sounded like Debussy, because his first language was French! Von Karajan, conducted and produce music like he did and did German music like he did 'cuase he was Austrian. Trust I've heard good western musicians trying to do Chinese music and they were crap!

It DOES NOT MATTER what your genetic material is, but your first language affects everything you do in terms creativity!

Thus a Chinese chap born brought up in Italy, with a first language as Italian, creatively is Italian!

Those who are of dual or triple Mother tongue are really lucky!

God Bless you all!