1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How often should you get a bass set-up????

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by suitlandkid2005, Apr 27, 2009.

1. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    I'm asking because you have players who will play there bass for a while or any instrument for that matter and it will still play fine and they won't have to worry about a set-up for a while. I had my beginner Ibanez and my ATK set-up by a luthier for the first time 2 weeks ago. Of course, they still play really well and there is no buzzing or anything else wrong. I was just wondering should there be a time when I should set them up again down the road even if they seem fine to me? Like 6 months or something?

2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The best time to get a setup is when you feel like it needs one. Some stuff, like truss rod and bridge height adjustments can be done at home and can save you some cash.

3. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    +1. There's really no specific timeline for when to get your bass setup, it's purely a feel thing, and the more you learn about how to do it on your own the easier it will be for you to recognize if and when it needs a setup and whether or not you're qualified to do it or not. At the very least you should learn how to adjust your saddle bridge intonation and height, and truss rod adjustments. (Get yourself a Peterson Strobe Stomp if you don't have one already). Once you learn that you're 95% of the way there, barring any other non-standard issues.

4. It really depends on the climate you live it.When I was on the East coast I'd have to do a set up maybe once,twice a year.

Down here in Houston with the very high humidity I have to have them done anywhere from 4-6 times a year

5. wnelson

wnelson

Aug 15, 2007
    dallas,tx
    i usually do a check up every 5 months or so,...so i can catch things in an early stage if anything is slipping.....this site saved me a ton of money on set up cost...the only thing i wont adjust is a truss rod...i dont trust my judgement enough yet:rollno: Ive also ran into alot of players that seem to think when thier intonation is off,they need to adjust thier truss rod...when really saddle adjustments is only needed....... hope it helps you as well

http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_setup/

6. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Depends on how much you play and gig and some instruments need setups more regularly than others.

When it starts to feel off, it's usually time for a setup.

7. KLEIN

KLEIN

Apr 4, 2009
    Lakewood CA
    Endorsing: Schecter Basses
    I had mine set up 10+ years ago. And it still is the same as when it was worked on. It all depends on how you take care of it.

8. maggot_me

maggot_me

Mar 20, 2009
    maggot me

yea it'll save ya some cash

9. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    weather can play a factor. Changes from winter and summer are usually the worse and would cause need for an adjustment. Best way to tell if your intonation is out is to check to see if your notes on the 12 fret are in tune with your open strings. If not time to get it looked at.

10. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Here's some Set Up and String Replacement guidlines from the professionals at Peekamoose (note they are in the business of making money doing set-ups).
    My personal experience - I have a professional set up and string change when I buy a used bass (just set up if its a new bass). Then I continue to tweek the action (saddle height and truss rod) and intonation whenever it feels like it needs it. But that need varies a lot from bass to bass. I have an Alembic with an 11 piece neck thru and ebony slab board that I've never adjusted the action on and it plays great with ultra low action and no fret buzz. Then again I have a Musicman SUB 5 that I'm always tweaking the truss on. Both are stored in the exact same environment and see similar play time.

11. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
  12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    IMO it all depends on the bass. Some you can lock down the setup and day after day week after week shes spot on. Others if you blow your nose while you have her strapped on she's needing a setup :meh: The latter one i would dump ;)

I have a nice MIM P bass i modded and it needs a tweak on the neck maybe once or twice a year. The MIJ 51 RI. This one has been a pain .The most neck setups i have ever done on a Fender or any bass and its an all maple neck which i find stay pretty true. My 50's classic Fender has not been adjusted since i bought it setup and i changed the strings at least 3 times. Changing strings can cuz you to do a setup and intonation etc. Once i set on a type of strings its normally neck adjutments if any.

13. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    I'm with the advice of learning to do intonation and relief yourself. You will save $$$ and you can do it as often as needed. If you want to have it set, no more than once a year unless you are on the road or abusing the heck out of it.

14. Definitely have someone teach you how to do it, if not I guess you can learn piece by piece.

I am a real stickler for a well se up instrument and for me, relying on someone else to do it all the time would lead to numerous drawbacks

15. in normal conditions and if you have always the same brand and gauge of strings a bass should be set up at least once or twice a year... but every bass player should check his bass at least every moth and adjust if some thing has changed...

16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I think it also depends on your setup. If you want a low action, be prepared to be tweaking quite often. If you like a medium or high action, you can get away with less setups.