1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How should I string my Fender Jazz?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lawjazz1, Feb 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. lawjazz1

lawjazz1

Sep 7, 2013
    I play in a classic rock cover band that also does some straight electric blues. My main bass is a Carvin PB 5 PJ which has round super brights. It cuts through the mix great, punchy slap bass (on the one song I play slap). I love the versitility so it will remain my main ax.

I have a Fender P with flats that I use for the blues tunes because I want to back off a little and not compete so much with the guitars. Also for quieter songs like Fleetwood Mac's "Gold Dust Women" where I don't want to be too present.

Just bought a used 2012 Limited Edition Jazz American Standard from GC (1/2 original price!). It came with flats that sound really good....different than the P of course, but good. I like the way it sounds.

My question is simple to ask but I'm having a hard time deciding. Do I need two basses with flats, or should the jazz get rounds? Pros and cons, please. Trying to get the most versitile set up.

2. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    For me a jazz with bright flats are as versatile you could get for what I play, but you said yourself that you use your Carvin as your main ax anyway due to its' versatility, so why have another bass for the same purpose? If you like it with flats so keep the flats on, and if you need to use it some time in a context where that bass doesn't fit in you have your two other basses.
    Do you need two basses with rounds? Most people prefer the jazz bass sound with rounds, but if you already have a main bass with rounds I see no reason to change strings on the jazz if you like the strings already on it. Just my impressions

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Unless you really dig the sound of the flats, string one with each.

4. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    you are the only one who can tell if the jazz needs flats or not.

if you like it and use it, keep it with flats. if you don't, just change. the best thing to do is to keep the used set of flats (in case you decide to change ) and use them if needed :D

lz4005 likes this.
  5. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    As previously mentioned, why have two Swiss Army knives with the same tools?

For example, I can get a P tone out of an L-2000 as well as my P bass. Because the P specializes in a limited range of tones, I will throw some flats on it to give it a different P tone from the L-2000, since that bass can provide a standard P bass tone anyway.

Versatility is fine, but I don't think you need two basses that can do all of the same everythings.

6. You sound like my wife when I come home with a new Bass.

twinjet likes this.
  7. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Well, I suppose you could still string every single one with a different type of string. Then you'd have true versatility.

Better? :roflmao:

8. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    trothwell and AstralBirth like this.
  9. Linnin likes this.
  10. Sweet Willie

Sweet Willie

Dec 31, 2014
    NY
    Former moderator for now non-active Nordstrand Forum
  11. RC52

RC52

Apr 10, 2010
    Laurens, SC
    I had my Jazz strung with Fender flats , sounded really good . But My P is also strung with flats .

Today , I put Pressurewounds Medium gauge on the J - wonderful ! It brought the bass to life !!! Definatley worth a shot .
    I got them from Jim's Music under $20 shipped . Took a while for them to arrive , but great price , great string match .

Linnin likes this.