Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How the?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by fat-k, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fat-k

fat-k

Mar 30, 2005
    condon oregon
    :bassist: How does mark hoppus sing and play good bass on blinks new album :hyper: ?

2. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    ...the studio.

One thing at a time. Not like playing live, where singing and playing at the same time can, at times, be more difficult than having teeth extracted without anesthetic. :eek:

3. i have my fire extinguisher ready

4. Heehee :D

5. In rehearsal? ;)

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How does Geddy Lee sing and play awesome bass at the same time, live, in concert?

7. CaNaDaRoCkSoY

CaNaDaRoCkSoY

May 9, 2005
    Georgia
    Because he is from canada. :) :bassist:

8. +1!

9. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Aug 21, 2004
    Onatrio.Canada

I'm Canadian and I can't sing let alone play AND sing. :crying:

Sorry to let Team Canada down. I'm cut, right?

peace
    johnny

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Years of practice :D

Now moving on to Mark Hoppus. Marks basslines are not very hard. He rides a lot of root note progressions and does fairly simple fills. The stuff he plays is not very hard to sing and play to at the same time.

I'm also seeing some wise ass comments that could turn this thread into a flame war, so lets also keep this from becomming a flame war people. I will assasinate this thread quickly if it becomes that.

11. cass has a point. mark doesn't play very complicated basslines, and i don't think that he sings his lyrics with any especially hard harmonies or anything.

12. It's all about practice. When first started singin and playing bass it was rather difficult bout all could do was root note stuff but now I can throw in lots of fills and runs without throwing off my vocals. I think being a singing bass player adds to my vocals cause sing a little differntly than I do while playing guitar. I even write songs on the bass now instead of writing on the guitar and then figuring out how I'm going to play it on bass.

13. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    It is definately one of the best things you can do practice wise. I've found that in a band situation it really imrpooves the dynamics vocally. I have also found that it lead to a better understanding of melody and harmony. It's a wonderful excersie. If you don't practice it you definately should.

14. conk97

conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    well he doesnt really play good bass..he plays very very simple riffs that allow him to sing and play.

Geddy Lee is someone that plays great bass (ok IMO his voice is horid and whiney but he does play bass very well)

15. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yeah, but will Lee Harvey Oswald be the one who gets the credit for doing it?

16. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I would like to move to Canada

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.