How To Enter Musical symbols with Unicode fonts

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by mambo4, Aug 5, 2010.

1. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    by convention we often use "b" for flat and "#" for sharp, but if your browser uses a default Unicode font, you can display a few "real" musical characters.
    Sadly, due to browser limitations they can't be typed directly into the forum post, but they canbe cut and pasted.
    So here is the limited set of Musical Unicode characters for cutting and pasting:

♭ ♮ ♯ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

If you are interested in typing these characters in other , non-browser places (I used MS Wordpad )
    for Windows,
    the trick is to hold down your ALT key, enter a decimal code 9on the number pad), and then release ALT

♭ (hold alt) ( 9837 )(release alt)
    ♮ (hold alt) ( 9838 )(release alt)
    ♯ (hold alt) ( 9839 )(release alt)

♩ (hold alt) ( 9833 )(release alt)
    ♪ (hold alt) ( 9834)(release alt)
    ♫ (hold alt) ( 9835 )(release alt)
    ♬ (hold alt) ( 9836 )(release alt)

you can't get too detailed with the music notation, but you can mix it up and notate some simple rhythms, like a son montuno:

||:♩. ♩. ♩ |♩. ♩. ♩ :||

dotted notes are just a note followed by a period
    bare lines are (shift)+(backslash)
    this works with WIN XP or later.

Mac OS X provides a "character palette" with much the same functionality. It must first be enabled under System Preferences -> International -> Input Menu.

Note that unicode is note quite universal, and these may not display on everybody's machines (especially if they changed their system or browser default fonts)

more unicode symbols

wikipedia on unicode

2. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Mods PM'd with a request

3. wemmick

wemmick

May 23, 2010
    Washington, DC
    On a mac, you an enable code entry to -- enable the "Unicode Hex Input" keyboard layout as described in this article.

To enter the code, you'll hold down the Option key. You'll need to enter the hexadecimal (not decimal) value. For the symbols mentioned above, the hex values are:

♭ (hold option) ( 266d )(release option)
    ♮ (hold option) ( 266e )(release option)
    ♯ (hold option) ( 266f )(release option)

♩ (hold option) ( 2669 )(release option)
    ♪ (hold option) ( 266a )(release option)
    ♫ (hold option) ( 266b )(release option)
    ♬ (hold option) ( 266c )(release option)​

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I personally think this is a fantastic discovery.

Sticked.

Thanks!!

5. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    9833 is listed twice. fyi

6. Alt-codes must be typed on the numeric keypad (in NumLock mode).

They don't work if you try to type them in the numeric row above QUERTYUIOP.

Which means that on a laptop you must press and hold Alt and Fn, while you hunt and peck the embedded numeric keypad. Good luck doing it in low light.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    i think i'll just stick with b for flat ;) holy cow! i mean it's a cool thing and all, but way too much for my brain to handle.

8. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    good catch, thanks.
    fixed!

♬= 9836.

If I could only figure out how to do ties, I would be a happy camper.

@ jimmy :I wouldn't blame any one for sticking with the more easily typed b and #.

This all came about when I cut and pasted something from Studybass.com and the little "♭" stuck.

Actually this may be more difficult than at first it seems, as I am trying to type the codes right now and it's coming out wrong. They work in Windows Wordpad and I can cut and paste, but typed directly into the forum window in my Chrome browser, it goes awry...need to look into it.

9. This is not the only forum where Alt-Codes can't be typed. I've had same experience in Geni, and a few others.

I have a text file in which I've saved many Alt-Code characters (eg. ñ), and from which I copy/paste the appropriate ones into the rogue applications.

10. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    @PhiDeck

Yes, a quick test shows that browsers and forums can't handle typing the codes directly, yet cutting and pasting works. I will edit my initial post.
    Makes the discovery a little less cool now...

11. Hulktopus

Hulktopus

Aug 22, 2012
    Mansfield, TX
    You are the king. Thank you so much.

12. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    It looks like the new forum has killed this possibility.

13. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    This is a test of some updated Wc3 unicode, we'll see if it shows up for others

bars

chord slashes

clef

accidentals
    ♮ ♯ ♭

chord quality
    ø o Δ +

rests

notes

dal segno

14. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    looks like we only get these now, boo

accidentals
    ♮ ♯ ♭

chord quality
    ø o Δ +

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022