1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to get this GarageBand tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mbell75, Mar 26, 2017.

1. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Was just playing around with the different presets in GarageBand while playing a clip I recorded and I like this sound for some stuff. Its called "Crunch Cab" under the crunch bass profile. What pedal would get this tone? Just a fuzz? Thanks

Crystalman85 likes this.
  2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Sounds more like a blended distortion rather than a fuzz. for a sound like this, I would guess either an empress multidrive or the wolftronix growl overdrive might do the trick.

I've been using garage band for my new recordings and I've been digging the crunch cab sound. I created an awesome bass distortion sound from using the crunch cab and it adds heaviness to my latest recordings.

mbell75 likes this.
  3. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Thanks. The Empress sounded cool on the demos. Also came across the Darkglass Vintage Microtubes which sounds pretty cool too.

Crystalman85 likes this.
  4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I own a darkglass vintage microtubes myself. once of the best bass overdrives I've ever used. I was gonna suggest that, but I figure you wanted something comes close the to soundcloud clip. which is why I suggested the empress multidrive or the wolftronix growl. but if you're curious about the darkglass vmt, I will tell you it's worth owning. it has a wide range of overdriven bass sounds. it can go from a 70s rock bass sound to a 90s metal sound. it's really a great bass overdrive pedal to own. if you're thinking about getting one, by all means give it a shot. you might dig it.

mbell75 likes this.
  5. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    The Darkglass with the tone cranked all the way up sounded pretty close to that crunch cab preset I thought. I'm just not too keen on spending $300 on any pedal. I can see $100 or even $150 but these pedals for $250-$300, I just dont get it, but it is what it is.

6. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you're asking about the darkglass vmt, it's a tube-emulated bass overdrive. it may be a little pricey, but it's worth every dollar. plus these pedals normally go for about $250. you could find one used on reverb.com. if money is an issue.

mbell75 likes this.
  7. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Understand that but there are offerings from other companies like Pigtronix and Tech 21 that are also tube emulators but are half the price of the Darkglass. I'd get a SansAmp way before the DarkGlass at their price points. $300 for a pedal is ridiculous IMO. Thanks for the help though, Im going to give it some thought.

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If money is a concern, check out some of the joyo pedals. the moonbase overdrive sounds pretty cool. it costs $50 and is cased in a thick metal casing. here's the link to this pedal from cheaperpedals.com.

Joyo Ironman JF-332 Moonbase Bass Overdrive Pedal

Another good choice for an awesome drive would be the joyo orange juice and the joyo golden face. they are made for guitar, but they sound phenomenal on bass. I was thinking of getting one of these pedal. here's the clip that inspired me on getting one.

Orange juice at 1:07 and golden face at 1:21

mbell75 likes this.
  9. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Thanks a lot! Hard to get a feel for how a pedal will sound from a 10 second clip with everything set flat but those sounded pretty solid and thats a nice price.

Crystalman85 likes this.