1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to glue a Buckeye Burl top?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Matteo Marziali, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Image00017_zps28mqpdjx.jpg
    I have to glue a Buckeye Burl top with a black veneer layer on an Ash body with a tonal chamber on the upper side, and I have to glue it after the neck is glued on the body to cover the neck joint, and the Buckeye will be filled with photoluminescent epoxy…
    I'm undecided on how to proceed:
    I would like to glue the veneer on the top, otherwise if I glue it on the body there could be some empty space between the top and the veneer where there is the tonal chamber,
    What kind of glue can I use? Titebond or Epoxy?
    If I use Titebond the Buckeye Burl will not be filled inside… it’s a problem?
    And if I use Epoxy: with or without photoluminescent pigments? What’s worse? An imprecise line of photoluminescent epoxy between veneer and top or an imprecise line of Titebond glue, that could be visible (or not..) under epoxy…?

Thanks

2. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    I haven't had any problems with Titebond original on buckeye burl. Gluing the veneer to the top first sounds like a good plan because of the chambers.

3. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    that's a fair amount of surface area and were it mine, i'd be concerned with the water content of Titebond (esp Ultimate III) causing warping/buckling, and use clear epoxy.

after having Titebond III spring some prototype alder body wings apart that were clamped down with 6 heavy Jorgenson clamps, i've ordered some Bob Smith epoxy for a trial run.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021