How to keep that bright, new sting zing?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nato101010, Sep 4, 2010.

1. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    When my basses have old strings, I find it very uninspiring. I love the sound of fresh new strings. I don't exparement with bass strings generally, they cost too much. I've been sticking to the orange pack of Ernie Balls though. I'm just wondering if I can get more out of srtings? There seems to be a lot of bass strings in a store...i find it frightning.

2. MosGuy

MosGuy Keep it low and thumping..

Dec 26, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You could try the technique of soaking the strings in denatured alcohol. Which can bring some life back to the strings. The following link should help: http://www.tunemybass.com/strings/how_to_clean_bass_strings.html

Using the cleaning method above will only help to a point. Ultimately if you love the sound of fresh strings. The easiest thing is once the tone gets "dull" just replace them with a fresh set. No amount of cleaning will fully bring the tone back 100% long term in my experience. All strings lose their "zing" after a while. I'm not sure experimenting with different sets would help too much. I suppose it depends how you define "zing". As certain strings sound brighter then others when new.

3. One simple thing you can do to extend string life is to wash your hands before playing, and then wiping the strings down (both on top and underneath the strings) when playing.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Treble knob on your amp. I HATE new strings.

5. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    I do wash my hands a lot, normally always before playing

I'm just wondering if there is a string that stays brighter, longer then Ernie Ball?

6. NoahKnapp

NoahKnapp

Jul 13, 2009
    I had a set of the elixer strings and they stayed bright for about 6 months. They cost more, but I think it's worth it.

7. FenderJazzFan

FenderJazzFan

Feb 19, 2009
    UK
    As in bright as the day you got them for 6 months? Even with slap?

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Dean Markley blue steels. New you'll prob be dialing the tone or treble knob down a good bit till theyre well broken in. Once broken in they sound more like regular new strings for long time. Brightest stainless strings I know of. Great crack of thunder bass too. But overly trebly at first till broken in well to me.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021