1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to know if its 3/4 or 4/4 Spirocore ?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by massimo, Feb 21, 2018.

1. massimo

massimo

Jul 29, 2006
    Paris (France)
    Hi, can someone tell me if it's possible to know if spirocores (red orchestral and purple weich) are the 3/4 or the 4/4 model ? I mean ,without having the original box, is there something visually different between the 3/4 and the 4/4 spiro ?
    Thanks

2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    The length is slightly shorter on the 3/4 but I'm not sure by how much. Someone once did the mesurements on here

massimo likes this.
  3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, I went through this last year. 4/4s are longer, but unless you know the lengths or have both sets to compare, they are visually indistinguishable.

If your question is about a set of weichs that you have, I have an old set of 4/4 weichs that I could measure for you. I don't know if the lengths are consistent with mittels, though.

massimo likes this.
  4. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    I've eyeballed 4/4 mittles next to weich and they are the same length.

massimo likes this.
  5. massimo

massimo

Jul 29, 2006
    Paris (France)
    Troyk, if you can measure it would be great : in the case there is a difference the longer will be the 4/4 (if no difference there is no answer from what i understand)

6. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, let me go measure. 4/4 will be longer and I'm certain that mine are 4/4 because I went through this with these strings at the shop where we could also measure known varieties.

massimo likes this.
  7. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    This may not be quite as helpful as I suggested, but here's what I've got for you:

I have a box of old strings and there were 8 Spirocore Weich in there. 4 of them were recently on my bass and when I was in Jake's shop, we compared their lengths to 3/4 and 4/4 Weich off of his shelf and easily determined that mine were 4/4s based on that comparison. I don't know for certain which 4 those were. I measured them all this morning and got some variance. You'll need more data to draw conclusions, but hopefully I'm a starting point. I'll also say that while old Spirocores are good, a few of these are well past any reasonable wear patterns and it was hard to straighten out the peg end to get a precise measurement. I never cut length off of strings, but it's possible that one or more of these came to me in a trade at some point in the past and I can't say they weren't cut by someone else. The 4 that were on my bass were not, but again, I'm not sure which 4 those are. That said, here's my results from this morning:

E String #1 and #2 were both 67 inches/~170cm
    A String #1 and #2 were both 71 inches/180.34cm
    D String #1 was 71 inches/180.34cm
    D String #2 was 72 inches/~183cm
    G String #1 was 70 inches/~178cm
    G String #2 was 68.5 inches/~174cm

I hope that helps. I don't really understand why Thomastik doesn't make this easier on us.

massimo likes this.
  8. A look into my Dropbox would have helped too. (See signature)

massimo likes this.