1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to play fast, repetitive lines without mud?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by deathletter, Oct 3, 2013.

1. deathletter

deathletter

Oct 21, 2012
    A lot of my band's songs involve fairly fast, repetitive bass lines (often single note). Minimalist jammy space rock stuff, often calling for a pick (at least with my finger skill level)... sounds sort of like this:

My problem is that the bass often sounds pretty muddy, the notes kind of run together into sludge.

Any technique tips for remedying this? Gets even worse when I use fuzz.

Or gear/EQ tips? I'm using a Deluxe Jazz Bass into an SVT-3 with a 4x10 SVT CL cabinet. I don't know much about EQing and compressing bass.

I'm a guitar player and pretty new to bass still. Some bass players I watch seem to be fretting differently than one typically does on guitar (some finger lifting that makes it sound a little more percussive). Some also seem to be doing some weird finger-muting stuff on their right hand. Sorry, new to this.

Thanks

2. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Well without seeing you I think part of the problem is in a band context you can't let notes ring as you are probably used to with guitar.

So an easy way to stop the note from ringing when you move from string to string is to lift the finger on the fretting hand as you play the next note. Many will use their thumb on the fretting hand to help. Playing finger style also help with that because your finger will rest again the lowest strings muting it at the same time.