1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to prepare

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by Stingray93, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Stingray93

Stingray93

Mar 14, 2009
    Dear Justin,

I am a 16 year bassist from D.C. Im really interested in your work as a studio bassist. Its something that i would love to do if i had the opportunity. When you were growing up, how did you prepare yourself to reach the skill level and musicianship of a top professional? How did you practice? Also, how did you promote yourself as a musician and work your way up in the industry? I've been trying to play in as many groups and styles as i can, and i took up the upright bass recently in hopes of opening up more opportunities.

Sincerely,
    Michael

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    I don't remember doing that much practicing on my own, mostly jamming with others.

So I guess that's part of the answer.

As far as promoting myself as a musician, I'd suggest you read through some of these threads on this forum and do some searching. I believe I've touched upon a lot of this answering questions of this nature in the past.

Let me give you some bullet points, though:

- Jam with everybody
    - Get a great, broad, deep, current & old record collection together. Listen to EVERYTHING.
    - Play for free.
    - Learn how to record sooner than later.
    - Play other instruments
    - Be a positive person

Best,
    JMJ

3. Stingray93

Stingray93

Mar 14, 2009
    nice. thanks!

4. Hey Justin, Rahul from India here...Thanx for directing me to this forum...It's very helpful...
    i check it nearly every day.
    Thanx