Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to record direct to pc

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ludwig109, Dec 11, 2005.

1. anyone have a record out on amp dunno anymore

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

The line out should work for this, but you don't need an amp for direct recording to PC IMO. I think that the point of an amp in a recording situation is miking it to capture the "live" tone resulting from the blend of your bass, amp and cab(s). For direct recording, just plug your bass into your soundcard (or bass > effects > sound card if you use real time effects) and you're ready.

Again, just my $0.02.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

BTW, I clicked the "Submit Reply" button exacly when the server collapsed. Sorry for the delay but "There seems to have been a slight problem with the database."

4. just hook up a DI box and go direct. mix in a mic'd cab if you want to play around, but usually direct in gives you the best sound IME.

5. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    I sometimes record stuff if I find something nice and i plug the bass directly to the MIC. input of the sound card.I use a creative soundcard and the basic software that comes with it.A guitarist friend of mine does it too.He even uses the onboard sound card.

6. ok thanks do i need any special connection to plug into the soundcard ?

7. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    yeah, not to hijack the thread, but I bought a 1/4th inch to 1/8th converter, and I plugged it into to the mic input of my souncard, but to get any volume I have to turn the volume knob on my active bass all the way up, so it becomes extremely distorted, cuts out sometimes, and is obscenely quiet. any suggestions? if it matters, im just using the windows recorder.

8. You need to get a 1/4" to 1/8" converter.

That's why many of the guys he said to go DI. It's mainly to get a more line level signal so you dont have to crank your bass. An effect pedal would work fine too. That's what i do anyways.

9. wheat

wheat

Oct 30, 2005
    Since the volume coming off the pickups is low (even lower on a passive bass), you'll want to use some sort of pre-amp to bring your level up. You could try a SansAmp, the output from a Zoom pedal (or other FX pedal). I use a really simple preamp from midiman (now called M-Audio) called the "Audio Buddy":

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/AudioBuddy-main.html

This is nice, too, because you can run a regular (XLR) mic into it if you'd prefer to mic your cab (which is what I like to do). The output on the back is 1/4". So I use a 1/4" to 1/8" converter and a bit of 1/8" cable to run it into my (stock, crappy, laptop) sound card. Works very well

Wheat

10. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    is there any way I can rig up some sort of odd DI with an fx pedal or the head phone output of a combo amp?

11. wheat

wheat

Oct 30, 2005
    Most fx pedals will work fine (I've used a Zoom 506), especially ones that have some sort of output level controll. Some of these are great because they also have speaker simulation. You could also use a patch with a touch of compression and/or reverb to minimize the chance of clipping and warm up the tone just a bit.

A DI box won't help you here, as the point of a DI box is to turn a 1/4" signal into an XLR signal so you can run it into a mixing console.

Seriously, though I've heard all my life to "just go direct," I have never liked the sound of my bass recorded DI. Maybe it's because I've spent my life playing live, but what I want--and what gives me the best sound when I record--is the sound off a speaker. Even the sound off my practice amp (Peavey MicroBass) is preferable, IMHO, to the sound of my bass via DI. So the M-Audio preamp + a mic has been the best solution for me, YMMV.

Wheat