1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to send this to FOH?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Goteky45, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Goteky45

Goteky45

Oct 30, 2009
    Portugal
    I started using 2 preamps in my rig: 1 clean and one with effects. I want to use DI for both preamps but I don't always have room in the mixer for 2 signals from bass (my band is kinda big).

Is there a way to mix 2 DI signals before sending to FOH? I want to send the Line out from preamp 1 (the xlr DI our on this one is not working) and XLR DI out from preamp 2.

I've seen some boxes to mix signals from 2 mics. But I've never seen one with both line and XLR ins.
    would this work? What about impedance mismatches?

Is there any other way?

Thank you in advance.

PS: If this is on the wrong forum, Mods please move it

2. La_Vaca

La_Vaca

Jun 8, 2014
    I'm no expert, but I think what you need is a mixer. Here's why; first I don't know of any box that'll combine them on a single channel (as most mixers / devices are going to override your xlr when you plug something into the line jack), and even if you got both signals on one channel, you'd have no way to control the blend - and you want control over that.

So, a small mixer will let you plug both your outputs in, control the mix between those 2, and send it to a single channel on FOH. I'll admit, though, that this separates where the balance and levels are set into 2 different boards (may even be in 2 different places at the venue) which might not be a good thing.

maestrovert likes this.
  3. Yup, you don't need to spend a fortune on a tiny mixer.

4. Blankandson

Blankandson Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    That's not so different than a drummer (with electric drums) mixing 6, 7, or even 8 different inputs on his tiny mixer and then sending one line to the FOH. Should work just fine for bass also.

maestrovert likes this.
  5. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    You can get a decent little 4- or 6-channel mixer for $40-50 that sounds quite decent and have 1/4" inputs and no frills. Sounds like what you need. And not an arm, leg, or other appendage...

La_Vaca likes this.
  6. Goteky45

Goteky45

Oct 30, 2009
    Portugal
    ok guys. thank you very much for your answers

7. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
  8. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    La_Vaca likes this.
  9. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    La_Vaca likes this.
  10. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    Have you tried a mic?

11. Goteky45

Goteky45

Oct 30, 2009
    Portugal
    I've played through one of these and it's great. But it's to pricy for me atm, sadly.

That galaxy audio seems pretty good for my purpose and it's quite small. Then again, if I buy a small mixer like the mackie, I would have some extra bells and whistles that may be needed in the future

12. La_Vaca

La_Vaca

Jun 8, 2014
    Since we're doing recommendations, here's a couple of different ways I would go on this, though none of them are towards the Lehle posted above. Not that it doesn't look absolutely look a awesome, but is admittedly overkill IMO (or maybe that's just me).

Here are a few less extravagant suggestions (not advocating for any of these, but a quick google search bore some interesting fruit)...
    Hard to argue at $25 if it fits the bill (might not / seems cheap)
    Mackie (safe choice)
    Rolls? $50 / should get you there in a pinch

There's lots of small steps up in quality and features you can take based on what you might need / grow into. I'd lean towards the Mackie or another trusted brand with a trusted product- the no BS, old reliable, inexpensive, yet solidly built type units that are unlikely to make others jealous, but unlikely to break the bank, break your heart (if it walks off while you aren't looking), or break at all.

13. Goteky45

Goteky45

Oct 30, 2009
    Portugal
    Yes and I use it when the soundman is willing. But there are situations where:

1: The soundman doesnt want to mic
    2: There is no room on the stage for my cab and I rely on monitors

14. DocGeorge

DocGeorge Gold Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Indio, CA
    La_Vaca likes this.
  15. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    Then yeah... the tiny mixer solution may be easiest/cheapest. Maybe shop used? These things re-sell for next to nothing in my experience.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    La_Vaca likes this.
  17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Also, you could use a Radial JDI or J48. You can put two inputs into it and press the "Merge" button and it will combine the two signals into one XLR output. However, it costs twice as much as the mixer in my previous post, but I'd go with the Radial anyway. On the amp with the XLR out, just use a cable with XLR on one end and TRS on the other, or use an adapter.

jdi-topview-intro-lrg.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    La_Vaca and adi77 like this.
  18. Goteky45

Goteky45

Oct 30, 2009
    Portugal
    was completely forgeting about the radial :banghead:

They sometimes appear used aroud here. Ill look around for both tinymixers and the radial used. One of them will do.

Thanks everyone:thumbsup:

19. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    thats it, as munjibunga said.. stereo radial (maybe countryman) DI

20. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I don't think the Countryman will merge two inputs. And you don't have to get a stereo Radial. Either the regular JDI or J48 will do it.

La_Vaca likes this.