Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to set your bass up for really low tunings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by AtheistMuffin, Dec 31, 2012.

1. AtheistMuffin

AtheistMuffin

Dec 11, 2012
    yesterday I was playing around with some tunings and I liked B standard but the strings are way to loose and buzz if I try to pick in that tuning. I'm new to bass setup (I normally have it done when I buy a bass). What would I have to do to play this tuning smoothly?

2. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    Get a set of 5 string bass strings, throw out the G. The strings will sit a bit higher unless you file down the nut, which I would really think about for a long time before I did.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Using the bottom 4 strings of a 5-string set is a common and very workable idea. However... if you try to use a gauge string that's larger than the corresponding nut slot... especially the outer two strings... that's a recipe for a cracked nut, not to mention much higher action.

5. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    Very true. I mentioned filing the nut to accommodate, but doing so is permanent, hence thinking about it. I should have mentioned the down side to putting those strings on without filing the nut. My bad.

To the OP, if you don't want very floppy strings, you'll need a much thicker gauge than typically comes on a four string bass. If you want to use, say, .110 or even .115 gauge E strings tuned to B, they're still going to be quite loose. You will need to raise your action significantly and adjust your truss rod a good bit.

You could always get a 5 string bass and solve this altogether as well:D