1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to test speakers in store?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by wemmick, Jan 18, 2012.

1. wemmick

wemmick

May 23, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I'm shopping for some new powered speakers (well, new to me anyway) for my band. We generally have only the vocals through the PA.

How do you recommend testing speakers? Should I bring my mixer and mics and hook it all up? Use what the store has?

Alternately, should I just buy from a place with a decent return policy and hope nobody spills on it before I commit?

2. oerk

oerk

Oct 16, 2009
    Bavaria
    Depends. The mixer shouldn't factor into the sound quality, so it's kind of useless to bring one. And if you use standard mics for vocals, such as SM58s, the store should have some.

I would bring music I know well and run it through the speakers.

3. ThirstyMonkey

ThirstyMonkey

Jun 27, 2011
    +1 on bringing your own music with you. If you have a good recording of your band, bring that. If not, bring in a recording of music that is comparable to the music your group plays and that you're very familiar with. When you audition the speakers, make sure the various speakers are in the same relative place (height and distance). You'd be surprised how much the "room" can impact the sound of the speakers. Also make sure the mixer's eq is flat and their not using any processing on the speakers. Finally, don't decide that day. Come back a second time and audition them again, this time starting with a different brand than the first time.