How to tune my bass to Drop C (help)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by basskid76, Jan 24, 2009.

1. basskid76

basskid76

Dec 14, 2008
    Please help me. There are two ways I could do this, by ear or by tuner.
    Please tell me how to do this
    I try it with my tuner but I'm not sure what to set my tuner to.
    And
    Please tell me how to tune it by ear. Like how to get it the way it's supposed to sound
    Appreciate it,
    Basskid76

2. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Play the C on the A string (3rd fret) then tune the E string down until it matches an octave down.Pretty simple.

3. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    Or just plug it into your tuner and tune it down until it reads "C". If you have low tension strings and low action you might get some buzzing though.

4. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    remember also that once you tune down it'll take a few minutes for the bass to aclamate and you'll be constantly going out of tune. If this is a somewhat permanent thng you could try setting up your bass with the bottom string of a 5 string bass and tuning it to a C. also use heavier gauge strings on the others too so that the tension stays nice.

As far as tuning it down you should get a chromatic tuner (sometimes you need to play the 12th fret harmonic to get it to read pitches that low) or tune to a piano or other instrument

5. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    from top string to bottom, tuning should be:

CGCF

use your basic chromatic tuner. I use a cheap korg tuner i saw at GC. use heavier strings.

6. ~Ethan~

~Ethan~

Dec 3, 2008
    Abilene, TX
    I use a cheapy, Korg guitar/bass tuner GA-30.

I just hit the flat button twice then drop tune the E string like you would to go to drop D. Hope :smug:that helps.

7. I want to do this also. I can get CGC but my tuner doesnt have an F, how do i gt the G sring to an F?

Also, it has a hard time staying in tune, is this something you should do with new strings?

8. Afrokid

Afrokid

Nov 24, 2006
    just plug it in and tune it to C, simple as that. dont buy into the heavier strings cus its not a necessity i have light guage black tapewounds that handle drop C with no problem

9. Get a chromatic tuner.

10. adge

adge

Jun 8, 2006
    sydney, australia
    i tune to drop C, i use a B (.130) string (GHS boomers). i used to use a .50-.115 set but i found the .130 to work better. i find that tuning lower notes by ear is too hard. ive owned a few tuners, Boss TU-2, Korg DT-10 but the best ive owned is my current tuner the korg Pitchblack...

11. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Using a tuner tune down to CGCF, using a chromatic tuner, using a dedicated guitar/bass tuner set the 1'st string 2 whole steps down (4 flats) and the rest 1 and a half steps down (3 flats), then tune a normal.

12. johnny227

johnny227

Dec 21, 2008
    UK
    Hey, I am guessing you mean the tuning of: C, G, C, F.
    If this is so use this site as it contains Drop C along with other tunings.

http://www.howtoplaybass.co.uk/online_bass_tuner.html

I am guessing you are in a metal band if you are wanting to use drop C, am I right?
    :)

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021