Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to use a Focus 2 as a preamp only

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I should know this, but I have lingering doubts. Anyway, I've got a buncha Tuesday/Thursday hits coming up in the next few months where there's a house amp, and I'l like to just take my stool and Focus 2, use the focus as a blender, and plug right into the input of the house rig. But what's the best way? 1/4" out on the FX send? Cannon to 1/4" on the DI? Somebody set me straight!

2. Hi Chris,
    Before 2 months (i had in mind to use the instrument input for the doublebass and the mic input for vocals),
    i did a similar question to Rick Jones:
    If we can take the output signal from one of the two channels, from the output "effects send", and send it alone to a mixing board of a PA system.

He answered me:
    <<You can send either channel separately to a mixing board via the send outputs. The output impedance is relatively low, less than 10kOhm, so it should work for moderate cable runs.

If the cable needs to be very long,
    put a direct box on the send output to convert it to low impedance. If the reverb is selected, there is no reverb in the effects send output.
    The direct out has both signals mixed together and
    it has reverb, if selected.>>

So, i think that there's no problem with 1/4 or XLR, except in the case that you will need to run very long cables. In the second case you have to use the XLR (combined) output because it is a low impedance output (less than 1000 Ohm), or convert every 1/4 effect send output to XLR with a DI box.
    I hope it helps.

3. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you say you want to use it as a blender, that implies to me that you want the mixed output and so I would use the Direct Output. That's precisely what it's there for and balanced XLR will be best for a long cable run.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yup, that's the ticket. First gig is tonight. I guess I'll go XLR out into a cannon transformer into the house amp. If I'm understanding the way it works correctly, the master volume on the Focus will no longer work, but the entire preamp section should still be functional, right?

5. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yes the Master Volume has no effect on the Direct Output but the preamp controls will let you determine the blend - that's good for not so smart sound men. One guy I know sent the two separate signals to the board and the stupid board guy recorded the guy with the pickup only instead of the mic. This way you have control and they can't screw it up. You didn't mention whether you will be playing acoustically on stage but if you are, then you should make sure you turn the Master Volume to 0 since there won't be a speaker load present.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I will be plugging the DI signal into the house amp, in this case, a Hartke kickback 12. Should I still set the master at 0?

7. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    It shouldn't matter... the master volume knob literally does nothing to the DI in my experience. I don't know why it would be advantageous to turn it all the way down, either. It should make no difference...?

8. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    The level makes no difference to the Direct Output level but if you turn it up you will be trying to send an output through the power amp and there will be no speaker there. The manual says (and I quote):

All Acoustic Image amps can be operated without a speaker load if required. When operating without a speaker attached, turn the master level to zero (all the way counter clockwise). This will prevent the power amp section of the amp from being driven and protect it from damage.