1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How will a 8 ohm amp and 4 ohm speaker work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by George Harvey, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Will an 8 ohm head at 500 W work with a 4 ohm cabinet? Will it be efficient? I would like an Aguilar 500 but believe it is 8 ohm out only, no?

2. Is one outlet for 4 and the other for 8? I'm fairly new at this, but don't want to make too many mistakes at my age....Or is it that with 2 plugged in, it turns to 8 ohm for each cabinet plugged in?

3. I guess it has a pair of outputs labeled 8 ohm? You can use one or two 8 ohm cabs OR one 4 ohm cab.

The amp won't mind so long as no more than 4 ohm worth of cabs is plugged in. Eg one 4 and one 8 makes 2.7ohms. Bad.

Al Kraft, Helix, MCF and 1 other person like this.
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

as S-Bigbottom 's post shows = you're good to go! virtually all bass amps will power 4-ohm cabinets (many will do 2 ohms!). lots of folks get an 8-ohm cabinet first and another one later to make a 4-ohm system --- pretty common. your 4-ohm cabinet will get all the power the amp can deliver...so be careful while you're having fun! good luck with your rig! :thumbsup:

kavallero, Al Kraft, whero and 3 others like this.
  5. I love The sound Alphonso Johnson gets and he was using Warwick double stack rig last time I saw him, double stack 4X10/2X12 not sure what head he was using. He is so awesome. But I can't play stuff like that but I do love the sound!

Dubious Aa likes this.
  6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    May I suggest that you download the owner’s manual and learn how the amp works?

DaveDeVille, Al Kraft, Low8 and 21 others like this.
  7. Good idea. Like I said, I'm new at this, been a drummer all my life and now with Covid, I decided to take up bass for a hobby. Liking it too!

8. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Hey, that’s my line!
    Where was I yesterday?

Al Kraft and agedhorse like this.
  9. fredolele

fredolele

Aug 28, 2019
    To me, the real answer is to know both your gear and how resistance works.

As others have said, this amp is rated 500W at 4 ohms (rather than 500W at 8 ohms as you said).

Next, here’s a really good article on the topic. It does a great job of explaining not just what, but why!
    How to Hook Up Heads and Cabinets | Bass Gear | StudyBass

hope this helps!

MCF likes this.
  10. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    I'd email the manufacturer

11. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    You will find, now that you've picked up the bass, this is how it has been for us bass players even before COVID. We've always stood in the back at least 6 ft away from the other band members... nobody comes near us on our break, they always go over and talk to the drummer or the lead singer. You should have stuck with the drums .. it can get very lonely as a bass player at times. just a little advice from your old uncle Bill ;)

12. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    That's the most polite version of "RTFM" I've ever seen ;)

instrumentalist, smogg, whero and 4 others like this.
  13. I dont think Iver ever seen an 8ohm minimum bass head.

14. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Plus the girls normally stay more than 6 ft away.

Low Crow, George Harvey and dbase like this.
  15. Robscott

Robscott

Mar 20, 2017
    Tonbridge UK
    Wow, radical!

16. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Indeed it sometimes seems that way ;)

IMO, many players could benefit from spending some time with a well written manual. I agree though, that some manuals are close to worthless which is a shame.

StereoPlayer, Al Kraft, ruju and 3 others like this.
  17. Right now, they should.

I don't want them to, but they should.

18. Great article! Thank you

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021