How would tone/volume change?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DLM, May 19, 2005.

1. DLM

May 25, 2004
    My Stewart 1.2 can push 1,200 watts into a 4-ohm cab. If I get another identical cab, I'll be forced (I think) to run only 350 watts per channel into each cab (I'm not sure how the math works, but this is what I'm getting from the owner's manual).

How will that affect my tone/volume? Would I lose low end due to less power going into each cab? On the other hand, I've doubled my cabinet space so wouldn't that offset the loss of power?

Thanks everyone...
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    using two identical cabs you generally get a 3 dB increase in volume, 6 dB if you end up using twice the watts in the exchange.

in your case a lot depends upon how many watts you were really putting into your initial cab. so 1st question would be what's the wattage rating for the cab you are using? and how high were you turning your amp up?

also, IIRC, i think you get more than 350 a side at 4 ohms from the 1.6, i get 650 a side from my 2.1

IME, running cabs with fewer watts can result in a more "open" tone that can sound a bit more articulate. running them with more watts can result in a thicker fuller sort of tone.
  3. DLM

May 25, 2004
    IvanMike, to answer your questions, the cab rating is 850 watts RMS and the most I've turned my amp up to is about 1/3 when pumping the full 1,200 watts into it.

Just to clarify, I'm running a 1.2, not 1.6, and the manual states 350 watts per side @ 4 ohms.

I'm thinking that by doubling my cabs and decreasing power to each cab, I'll increase the low end but decrease the max volume?
  4. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    The max volume will increase by about 0.7dB - almost unnoticeable. (+3dB from the doubled speakers, -2.3dB from going from 1200w to 700w total)

The balance will shift slightly towards the low end - but within a 3dB range, so just noticeably.