1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How Would You Rate This Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RJizzle100, Feb 13, 2020.

1. RJizzle100

RJizzle100

Dec 11, 2019
    1. Sound Quality

2. Price Range

3. “Beginner bass” or High End bass?

4. Guess the brand

This video was shot with a GoMixer and no bass effects.

J_Bass, wraub, Clark W and 5 others like this.
  2. grillman

grillman

Dec 15, 2014
    Don’t know about the bass but the player gets a 10.

J_Bass, pcake, Greg Waldon and 3 others like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'd guess a medium - to - high end bass, but yeah, player seems good enough to make even an SX sound like that... ;)

RJizzle100 likes this.
  4. RJizzle100

RJizzle100

Dec 11, 2019
    Thanks Bass Player. I appreciate the positive encouragement.

grillman likes this.
  5. RJizzle100

RJizzle100

Dec 11, 2019
    Thanks Bass Player. I’m still on the bass journey of learning. Thanks for the observation on the bass.

6. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I'll just throw in another thought - there are a whole lot of very high quality basses within the price range of most beginners these days. More than ever before. I wouldn't be too surprised if this was a Sire, for example. Now, a Glarry or Burning Fire or AliExpress special or something like that, might catch me off guard... ...then again, could be a much higher end bass, too.

Perfectly good sounds coming out of that bass, whatever it is. :thumbsup:

ed morgan and RJizzle100 like this.
  7. RJizzle100

RJizzle100

Dec 11, 2019
    Your rating of possibly a Sire is dope! Thanks Bass Player! After a few replies Im going to state which bass it is. This thread is educating me about basses. It is interesting that you mentioned Glarry basses. Recently I heard about them and they seem dope for the $75. There is only a win win result. What is an SX? I gotta add SX to my study of basses. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    EatS1stBassist likes this.
  8. grillman

grillman

Dec 15, 2014
    Exactly. It’s a good sounding instrument. Which nowadays means it could cost between 300 to 2000 dollars.

RJizzle100 and bholder like this.
  9. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Some pretty good sounds occasionally being made with even cheaper basses. See Khruangbin, for example, she rocks an SX and gets the job done. All in the player and what sound they're going for, imho. Low price quality is the best it's been in a long, long time.

10. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    SX is one of the brands that is / was sold by Rondo music, an old favorite low-cost decent bass source. Also available in some other countries. Not sure Rondo is doing much bass sales any more though. Anyway, SX basses run / ran generally in the $100 - $200 range, give or take. (Then "Brice" was the "next brand up" at Rondo, $250-$500 maybe.)

EatS1stBassist and RJizzle100 like this.
  11. RJizzle100

RJizzle100

Dec 11, 2019
    I agree with that math. I have played the low priced Ibanez and it was off the Planet. Around 2-3 hundred bucks.

12. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
  13. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I've heard good things about the low-mid range from Ibanez, yeah. Even the lower-end Talman models have gotten some good reports on here.

I have a few older Ibbys, Soundgear 6 and a BTB 6 - great basses. Probably one or two others hiding in corners. :D Oh yeah, one of my "pride and joys" - original '94 Iceman ICB500:

Iceman1.JPG

(That was a bit more than $500. :D:D)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    southgabass and RJizzle100 like this.
  14. grillman

grillman

Dec 15, 2014
    True. One of my favorite basses is an Aria Pro 2 that I paid 99 dollars second hand. I doubt it even reached 300 new.

15. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Old gems still to be found in the used market too, sure. Aria always "punched in a higher weight category" than their list price would've suggested, and were built like tanks, many have lasted very well...

M.R. Ogle and RJizzle100 like this.
  16. RJizzle100

RJizzle100

Dec 11, 2019
    The Rondo bass looks awesome. Khruangbin is a very solid bass player and has a great show without a keyboard player! That reinforces the effectiveness of three piece bands with no keyboards.

bholder likes this.
  17. RJizzle100

RJizzle100

Dec 11, 2019
    Thank you Bass Players for the insight and for observing the bass. The bass is a Squire Affinity PJ bass. I believe it is under $300 new. I bought it for around $120 used. My sole purpose was to buy a cheap bass and get my bass bro to throw an Audere Classic Pre-amp in the bass. The preamp was no more than around $120, if Im not mistaken. The bass price and the preamp price had to still be in a very low price range so that after the total in funds spent, it would be a $200 to $300 expense, but make the bass sound like a $500 or more bass. I never played a Squire Affinity PJ bass, so I didn’t know that the tone was already epic without any upgrade. I had the upgrade done anyway. Threw DR strings on there. The comments from you bass players were the best answers I think I could get. I let the listener’s ear determine what type of bass I now have. From the comment about possibly mid to highend level, to possibly a Sire bass, I believe the upgrade was worth it. I didn’t want the replies to be “beginner bass”. Lol. So the upgrade was dope. I wanted to upgrade the very low priced Ibanez bass, but the tone and power are too awesome to justify an upgrade. You bass players were accurate about low priced basses sounding like high end basses. Im not concerned about how expensive a bass is. I wamt the bass to sound mid to high priced as far as quality. I want the reaction to “This bass is a Squire Affinity PJ” to be nah! My next project is the Glarry bass. Tone Monster is the preamp. Trial and error. Then probably a Rondo SX bass and maybe an Audere Classic Preamp. Thanks again bass players!

18. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    That's a very nice preamp! I knew that already, well respected here, but I'm impressed!

EatS1stBassist and RJizzle100 like this.
  19. RJizzle100

RJizzle100

Dec 11, 2019
    Thanks Bass Player!

20. Greg Waldon

Greg Waldon

Aug 22, 2017
    Mississippi
    None
    I really like the "Low End" basses. The 3 that I have were all less than $150 used.

Squire Affinity PJ: Pawn shop special cost me $45. Just needed a good cleaning and some new strings. Pickups have kinda low output but they sound great. May change these out. Has a great neck on it. Set up really low. No buzz. Just North of 9 lbs. Definitely a keeper.

LTD B-50: Cost me about $120. Phenomenal bass for the price. Fantastic playing and sounding bass. Without a doubt, one of the best necks I have ever found. Super light. 7.2 lbs. No neck dive. Main player. This 'un is staying.

Cort SB10: $150. Newest acquisition. Great playing and sounding. Has a Mighty Mite humbucker. Very hot to be a passive. Closest sound to a musicman I have found to not be an Ernie Ball. Very wide nut width. I haven't measured it but it is wide. Not uncomfortable though. 8.25 lbs. I think I will hang on to this one also.