Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

howdy.......... any tips?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by stinkfist, Jun 8, 2004.

1. :bassist: hey guys ive been playing bass 4 around a year, ive only had about seven lessons so as you can imagine I am still very crap!. so I am asking if anyone has any tips for me to help improve my playing

cheers
    -stinkfist

2. Do some finger exercises like this one, and just keep it going faster and faster:
    G/-1-2-3-4-/
    D/-1-2-3-4-/
    A/-1-2-3-4-/
    E/-1-2-3-4-/
    Also try learning scales

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you'll probably have some better success with this question up in the general instruction forum. i'll move it there for you presently. :) welcome to talkbass.

4. Try to listen to all types of music; jazz, funk, metal, blues, motown, rock, punk, progressive rock, disco, everything.

And learn how to read bass clef if you can't already.

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    First let me start out by welcoming you to the wonderful world of bass guitar and Talkbass.

Some things you can/should do, to better yourself as a bassist are to learn your scales and their intervals. There are many thereads on this topic, so a search should yield you ample results. (Jazzbo's thread in the lessons forum is a very good one.)

Take the time to learn to sight read and transcribe. This will help you deepen your understanding of music and ultimatly make you a better musician.

Learn chord construction and as much theory as you can. (self explanatory on why)

Listen to a very broad range of music. In short listen to it all. Dont like country? Listen to it anyway. Dont like funk? listen to it anyway, this will help you become a more versatile bassist in the long run.