1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"humming" sound from my Headway edb1

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Kristian, Jan 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    Most of the time I'm happy with my Headway but sometimes it creates a loud "humming" sound and the only way to get rid of it is to hold it in your hand or touch it. Ground problem?
    Does anyone have experience with this? How can it be solved?

2. Michal Herman

Michal Herman

May 31, 2013
    Sounds like grounding.
    Make sure you have grounded power source.
    Have it happened only in certain locations (like place you gig in or rehearsal room)?

3. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    Yes, just certain places.
    Sometimes using a battery helped but not always...

4. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Definitely sounds like a grounding issue to me.

5. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    It's this something a local music store can fix you think?

6. sevenyearsdown

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    More often than not, it's not a grounding problem with the device. It's usually the electrical service in the building or bar you're plugging into. Now I'm not saying that your Headway couldn't have a problem, but if the issue only happens at specific locations, and is repeatable, then it's likely a problem with the service in those locations.

Is this a problem using an amp, the DI, or both? If it's just a DI issue, most preamps have ground lifts on them that can eliminate ground loop hum in these situations.

Ric Vice likes this.
  7. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Some devices are more affected by grounding problems that others. There is the option, though not always practical, to attach a long wire to the amp's frame at one end, and place a big metal clamp at the other, which you attach to a cold water pipe or other earth ground.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Michal Herman likes this.
  8. sevenyearsdown

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I would highly recommend NOT DOING THIS! You don't know what is properly grounded, and what isn't, and could be creating a potential problem in the event of a ground fault.

9. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    But sometimes I have the same problem while using batteries can it still be a grounding problem?
    What about radio waves? It's silent until I connect a cable...

10. sevenyearsdown

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    A cable to what? The amp? The PA? The pickup?

11. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    Maybe someone has a ground loop.

Screenshot 2017-01-20 15.20.04. Screenshot 2017-01-20 15.20.40.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  12. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    To the pickup. Sorry, wrote in a hurry...

13. sevenyearsdown

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    It would be helpful if we knew what your whole signal chain was. Is this humming via DI to a PA? Is it to an amp? Is it to both? It sounds like a garden variety ground issue that we all experience from time to time at venues that have dodgy electrical service. And sorry to sound like a broken record here, but as I and others have asked - have you tried the ground lift switch on the Headway?

However I still have to ask, is this problem isolated to specific locations? For example, does it always happen at one bar you play no matter what you do? Does it never happen at your regular rehearsal.

I think if you can provide us with the details, then we can probably give you a better educated guess as to what is going on.

14. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    It's both to PA and amp.

Yes, I've tried the ground switch. Sometimes gets a bit better but it never solves it completely.

Its only in certain places and sometimes less sometimes more...

Sorry for not answering properly.
    Busy day...

15. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    Broken ground loop?

16. sevenyearsdown

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    No worries. Yes I would lean towards a grounding issue at the venue, in which case there is not a whole lot you can do.

I would also check all of your cables just to rule out the simple stuff.

Ric Vice likes this.
  17. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Is there an easy test to determine if the outlet is grounded properly? Maybe bring a long extension cord and try other outlets at the venue.

18. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    You won't get much of a ground from PVC water pipe. Any additional ground has to be tied to the ground at the service entrance, for safety reasons. There's another possible ground loop, as well.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  19. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
  20. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Useful, but it will only tell you so much. I wonder if there's an easy way to determine if there is a good earth ground. North American codes are not friendly to stuff like this, as using the galvanized conduit as a ground is almost certain to cause trouble. Over here it's the 50Hz which makes life difficult.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017