Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hunter burgan from afi.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bigwig, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    hey.i know most of u dont listen to punk..but for anyone that listens to afi...do u have any settings that give that hunter bass sound? i know u need the jazz..but as far as his amps..
    anyone got any suggestions?

2. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    He uses an Ampeg SVT head, 8x10 & 2x15 setup while recording. He also uses a P-bass when he doesn't need to cut through that much. There's a small clip on ares (p2p network) that's called "Hunter Bass Tracking" I think. Cool little clip. For example listen to "The Nephilim" - P bass, "Sacrifice Theory" - Jazz. I wish one of these boutique bass-slinging guys in here would go toe to toe with Hunter....that would be good video.

3. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    hey..thanks man...i was just wondering...do u have any amp settings...like bass...mids...and trebles..that i shud use to get a sound like his...
    ive just my yorkville xs400 4x10..

so jazz basses cut through more than p-basses?
    i never really noticed that...i just found to be more...tighter.

4. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Most recording situations yeah, a jazz will cut through the mix a little better, especially an ash body with a maple fretboard. As for your amp you'll have to do some experimenting. Tweaking your settings will only make you understand your setup to the point where you get the most out of it. I do know that Hunter's a nut for fresh strings and a lot of treble.

5. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    I was pretty impressed when I saw AFI live, I thought hunters tone sucked on earlier albums but its gotten alot better. Hes great live, even though Davey Havoks a ham.

6. What do you mean by "earlier albums?" Hunter's only been with them since "Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes" and I still thought he had a great tone. Much better sounding that Geoff Kresge IMO.

Don't mean to be cliche, but what planet are you from? Davey Havok is the perfect voice and man for AFI...

7. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    :confused: Davey Havok is just being himself, and you HAVE to repect a man for being true to himself. His voice and lyrics belong in SOME kind of hall of fame.

8. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    thanks man...but how would a maple fretboard stand out more than say a rosewood one?

ill have to sit down with my bass amp for a while once i get my fender jazz to figure out my sound..i just love his tone in songs like 'days of the phoenix' (espeicially in the verses) and total immortal..

i love jades solo in dancing through sunday..i think punk (if thats wat u wanna call them) solos dont get any tougher than that.

9. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Whoooooo!, you have a lot of thread searching and GC floor testing to do!! Maple fretboards tend to produce a tighter resonance, meaning a "bright sound", rosewood boards have a more porous (you know like a sponge) composition, leading to a fatter, warmer tone. Many will debate this and say it's a matter of opinion, but chances are if you knock on a unfinished peice of maple you'll get a very cold, solid thud, as opposed to the thud you'd get from knocking on rosewood slab. The same sound properties actually apply to body woods too, knock (not too hard) on a fender alder body, then on an ash body, and you'll hear the difference. A maple fretboard seems to "reflect" more of the strings' vibration (resonance) whereas rosewood would soak it up a little more, being a softer wood. It gets a little more complicated from there. I just scored a solid slab ash jazz body, which really feels like the best of both worlds. The grain is wider than my last ash body & it seems to me like this particular body has larger caverns (holes) within the wood, so those holes tend to make the tone really bounce off the body (resonance) instead of soaking it up like my last bass. The little caverns also get bigger as a bass' wood dries out over the years, which is why vintage Fenders are so desireable for their amazing tone. I actually know some guys that leave their basses in the garage during summer to sort of bake the wood a little so it dries out quicker, but this is extremely far from recommended. So I'm off to jog now, hope that gave you some insight. AFI rocks no matter what any insecure meathead out there thinks (totally nothing to do with you Wild Bill, just a lot of guys hate on Havok for his makeup and wierd antics).

BoneRattlingBass likes this.
  10. Hunter is definitely a great bassist.

Generally, the Jazz is his main bass, besides the P bass he uses on a few songs especially on Sing the Sorrow. I think he used a Sansamp Bass Driver DI on All Hallows, Black Sails, and Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes, and of course live (his tone is really grungy live). I think he used a Mesa 400+ at some point. Either way, you're looking at a tubey amp with a lot of punch, and of course a pick.

11. Also, if you visit www.afireinside.net you can find an equipment list for Hunter, as well as the other members of the band. The only thing Hunter doesn't list is his choice of strings. He simply states "I hate strings."

12. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    I did forget he wasnt in the band til a few albums ago, thats probably why I didnt like "His" tone.
    I just think Davey Hams it up a bit, hes an amazing performer and a great voice but sometimes he bothers me, dunno why just does, no disrespect to him or any other afi fans.