1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hutchins Guitars Chandler Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jefkebass, Nov 25, 2010.

1. jefkebass

jefkebass

Dec 29, 2007
    Leuven, Belgium
    Anybody have any experience with Hutchins Guitars basses? More specifically the Chandler Bass.

I've been eyeing a new hollowbody/semihollowbody and found this, but have no idea about the quality/tone etc...

CHANDLER20Gloss20black_white20background.
    imagesCA8VGSFI.

2. jefkebass

jefkebass

Dec 29, 2007
    Leuven, Belgium
    bump

3. i know this is a really old thread, and i'm sorry for that, but i actually own a prototype Hutchins Chandler bass before they were put into production. Mine isn't exactly the same as the ones they produce now, it's hand built and features a different headstock, tuning keys and the body shape is slighty different. However the bass plays extremely well and my version anyway is a very high quality product. In terms of sounds, it's not especially versatile, the bass is very deep, and not much else, but still it's a great bass, more people should buy one.

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Very very interesting though, kind of looks like a cross-up of some well-known Gibson basses - I'm seeing the LP that the Jack Casady was modeled on mashed up with the EB-2 and EB-3. Could be a winner if done well. Like maybe, for folks who are fans of both Jacks (Casady and Bruce)? :D What do they go for?

Edit: To answer that, currently on music4less at about $550. Are they a decent deal at that price? And as for versatility, at that price, the first thing I'd probably do is look at enhancing the pickups. Maybe even adding a JC Electrar in the middle, if one could be found, get several basses in one.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  5. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    So I'm hoping what you're saying is that the woodwork and machinework is of high quality, but maybe the pickups are the weak point (that was always the accusation against the original Gibsons of that pickups style, even)? That wouldn't be unusual in this price range - but if the wood's good, the rest is easily remedied.

6. Hey buddy, that is exactly what i am saying however mine is a prototype, therefore it is not the same as the current model in production now so i can't exactly comment specifically for the one people can go out and buy.

7. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Cool, thanks, may be checking it out (too many projects going right now).