Hybrid Staff?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Aaron, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I was thinking, "Wouldn't it be a better idea to just put a line on top of Treble Clef/line below Bass clef to have a hybrid?" That way, you wouldn't have to learn both. You would have to transcribe it into the correct octave, but bassists already do that. Do you think a 6-line staff/clef would be a good idea?
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    How 'bout we all just learn more piano?
  3. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    It would take a lot more time than writing a line on the bottom of a staff. ;)
  4. What's wrong with ledger lines?
  5. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
  6. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    You should know!

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:
  7. Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    I think ledger lines system is perfectly acceptable, as any more lines on a page would reall confuse my eyes in an optical illusion kind of way.
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Not a bad idea, doubt anything will change though.

tell ya what PoT, you become a composer, and always write your charts with a 6 note staves, maybe it'll catch on ;)
  9. way back in the day there wasnt even two stafs for music, there was just one big one with like 12 lines or something like that!
  10. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I like this idea but anybody who's taken theory already knows how to read both clefs, and I don't think many people would want to learn a "middle" clef since they'd already know the other two. Still, neat idea.
  11. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    dont forget about alto and tenor clef, and the rare soprano clef. a C clef on the second line from the bottom. as a bassist you see a lot of bass, tenor, and Treble. No one uses soprano and only Violas use alto. If you're any good are reading intervals it doesnt matter what clef you're in anyway

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

well, *way* back in the day there was no staff, Then somewhere along the line(pun intended) some duder decided...hey, we need something to differentiate from the lower notes and higher notes.* And so he scored a single line to give more scale to the thing.

It evolved for a while, became 2 lines...3..4...I believe Bach is credited for the 5th line.

I do believe there was a period when there was a 10-12 line megastaff, but I think it was fairly short lived.

*If I remember correctly, choirs and such used to have a conductor type person that used hand positions to indicate what note to sing
  13. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    It eventually grew into a 12 line staff called a Grand Staff, and composers took ut the middle line and it bacame Bass clef and Treble clef, and those other ones.