Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hyperthreading and recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by geshel, Oct 5, 2003.

1. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I read on the Digidesign web site that you are supposed to disable Hyperthreading when using Pro Tools. Initially, this turned me away from PT, as I like HT and would like to keep it enabled.

However, a friend of mine with some experience just made a comment that "hyperthreading and audio don't mix very well". I didn't get a chance to discuss the matter with him much yet.

Anybody here have any experience / links on the subject?

2. Hmmm, I can't really see why it wouldn't work.

Hyperthreading emulates 2 processors, so that if you have a 2.8Ghz cpu, HT won't allow one program to use more than 50-60% of it. But I would think that's more than sufficent for most programs, and then you can fiddle around with other programs at the same time without having worries about it slowing down your other program.

Of course, there might be some other problems with HT and audio that I don't know of.

remember, Hyperthreading is a new technology. It'll probably be perfect when software manufacturers learn to utilize it better.

ciao :ninja:

ps. I'm an AMD man myself, can't wait to get my hands on an AMD64 cpu :D

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hmm - yeah, I kinda thought the same thing. In my experience, program behavior can be dependent on # of processors (including HT virtual processors) -- some bugs happen with one CPU but not multiple, and vice-versa. This, however, is program-specific. I'm not sure why HT would get in the way with audio in general. It would have to be something to do with latency effects of the way it handles context switching, I guess.

I guess the bottom line is - I've already bought the PC (with HT), so now it's software time. I don't think I'm going with PT anyway - looking at Sonar right now. They don't have any admonishments against HT on their system requirements page. . .

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Man this forum is a destert! this thread is still at the top over 12 hours later. :p

Found this on the Sonar website:

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Nuendo 2 supports it and so will Cubase SX 2