1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I am a newb at garageband... please help!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by StealthBanana, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Hi, so I'm really trying to get my bass setup with garageband on my macbook pro, but the thing is whenever I try to plug in to the computer from my bass (using a modified amp cable with 1/4' jack on one end and a 1/8' on the other) I'm just not getting any sound. And when I say there's no sound, I mean that to be true for everything. Youtube, music, whatever. The cable just mutes my computer entirely when it's plugged in so I know it must be something with my audio input but I honestly have no idea what to do. I've made sure the monitor is "on" in the GB settings as I know that is a common solution, but nothing I seem to do works.

Also please bear in mind that I don't have any mixers of any kind, I'm just trying to get my amp to go from my pre amp directly into the computer. Can anyone please help me?

2. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    well somebody with more expertise can probably tell you better than i can, but i believe you need some kind of audio interface. this is usually best achieved on a laptop with a USB network interface (but again there are tons of variations from onboard interfaces to USB to firewire and many others that I don't know about).
    The bottom line is- i don't think you can just plug your bass straight into an 1/8" audio input and have the signal make its way to garageband for recording.

Try something like this to get you started:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/tascam-us-144mkii-usb-2.0-4-channel-audio-midi-interface
    again, i'm sure the experts can tell you why this PARTICULAR choice isn't what you want, but maybe it will get you started.
    I record from my bass into a M-audio USB interface into my mac mini using garageband. It lacks finesse, but it works every time.
    good luck.

3. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Two things to try:

System Preferences > Sound > Input > Line In

Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup > Audio Devises > (mess with settings here)

4. How old is it? I believe the newer Macbooks use a mic/phones hybrid connection so it thinks it has headphones plugged in. You may be able to change the sound output in system prefs to ... speakers, rather than 'default' .... or whatever you are monitoring with.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4029028?start=0&tstart=0

Best solution is to get yourself an Apogee Jam or duet and go USB.

5. I was afraid I would hear this, but okay I appreciate the input. Guess I'm savin up for an apogee jam...

6. xxx666

xxx666

Jan 12, 2008
    Australia
    Endorsing Artist G&L Guitars
    Get yourself a peavy amplink for around $20

The issue you are having is due to the configuration of the Mac jack - it is set up for a mic/headphone combined input/output

7. I'm still kind of a newb with recording into a MacBook as well but I just got an Apogee Jam. It's well worth the $$$

8. Yeah well I really don't have money to be spending right now so I might see about the peavey amplink since I'm not really going for quality sound. Thanks all!

9. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    you do NOT need an interface to record or get sound through your MAC... i plug straight into the MAC with an instrument cable and 14" adaptor.... into Garage Band

10. A no-cost (assuming you have the cables) solution is to use the headphone out on your amp to line-in on the MacBook Pro.

You need one of these

caa29.

and one of these

[​IMG]

11. xxx666

xxx666

Jan 12, 2008
    Australia
    Endorsing Artist G&L Guitars
    Read his first post....

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    please post in the correct forum. basses is for instrument specific discussion.

13. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    But, in OP's case, he may have a newer macbook with a hybrid headphone/mic input jack. Thus, plugging in a bass input will generally default to headphone output.