1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I blacked out

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Jeroen91, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Jeroen91

Jeroen91

Mar 1, 2010
    Tonight I had a small gig at my church. Around 15 people there a guitar player and me on bass would lead it. My first gig ever and I totally blacked out. I faked through it completly after I realised I wouldn't make it and set my amp at a lower volume so no one would hear it. Is there anyone here that has some tips and tricks for me so this never happens to me again ?

2. crusie

crusie

Oct 19, 2009
    Djursland, Denmark
    get up there more. the more used you are to be on stage the more confident you will be there - don't over practice as you tend to forget things you overpractice ( at least I do) ofc you should know your stuff but still... sounds like a stagefreight moment to me. been there done that - don't sweat it and make sure you are loose when going on stage. tense bass players tend to skip beats or play too fast

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    You probably shouldn't drink so much before gigs! :p

Did you "blank out" because you weren't prepared or from nerves?

4. Jeroen91

Jeroen91

Mar 1, 2010

Blank out , I'm a Dutch guy so excuse me for my bad English :) I don't think drinking before gigging would be a good idea lol.

Until the show I was cool , knew what I was doing but as soon as we started I blanked out. I might be going out there more often :) the few notes I did play well sounded awesome combined with the guitar and the singing!

5. Just keep at it. The pressure will drop exponentially with each gig.

6. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    Get wasted!! You will suck at playing, but at least you'll _feel_ pretty good and confident up there :p Although I guess that is not an option, considering it's a church gig. Just relax, people will think it's embarrasing if they can see you don't enjoy it up there. Rather act like a crazy moron than a nervous statue!

7. Jeroen91

Jeroen91

Mar 1, 2010
    Thanks! I hope so :)

Lol ! Getting wasted for a church gig wouldn't work out well :p And I was trying to have fun :)

8. Jeroen91

Jeroen91

Mar 1, 2010
    Even though my playing sucked they want me there again ! That's some good news I think! :D

9. jamfree

jamfree

Nov 10, 2005
    Get back on that horse!

10. I screwed up soo bad on my 1st gig I left the singer after the 1st set - didn't even close out my tab. . . I gig around once a week now (and that was a few years ago . . .) it gets easier!

when I saw the title of this thread t reminded me of something that happened recently - I have sleep apnea (sp) and I actually conked out during a gig once. woke up to the guitar player poking me, hard, in the chest in the middle of a tune. :D that was when I decided I should go to a doctor . . .

11. Atnum

Atnum

Jan 14, 2010
    Just tell yourself "I'm the bass player nobody will be looking at me, we have the singers and guitars for that" or you could do some playing on family events like birthdays. If you mess up there its no big deal and will give you confidence to play in front of Strangers

12. Jeroen91

Jeroen91

Mar 1, 2010
    Lol , that's typical for bassplayers right ? :D

My story doesn't sound that bad compared to yours ! Thanks :)

I might be doing it again in two weeks and this time I will nail it :bassist:

13. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    And the other side of that is "the only time the average person realizes that the note is bad is when you make a face!" And then they just think it is jazz!

Really, non-musicians are much more sensitive to problems in rhythm than they are in harmony. Keep with the roots and they will think you are doing great. Later on, when you are less nervous, you can add more tones.

Dan K.

14. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    by the 5th time playing in front of others, you'll feel like its your happy place

15. CONGRATULATIONS WITH YOUR FIRST GIG!! Like some of the other guys have said, you get used to it. What can help sometimes is remembering that the audience is basically a friendly bunch who are there to have a good time and listen to some music - and not to "judge" you as a player. So look them in the eye, smile, and keep on thumpin' :bassist:

16. I can't understand why people get nervous when they perform live, hell, I have to drink COFFEE to CALM me down before a gig and even then I jump around like a mad man on stage.

Think about it that way, everyone out there that is standing/sitting and looking at you wants to be YOU at that moment, on stage, rocking out, so just get up there and go batpoopie insane! if you mess up, doesn't matter, mess ups happen :D

17. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Trio/curch gig..:)

18. Good for you, Bro! I'd probably NOT be asked to come back, if I did that on about 90% of my gigs - but maybe I should try at the next wedding reception ;)

19. A guitarist friend once did the Chuck Berry/Michael Fox(in Back to the future)sliding-backwards/upside-down-on-your-back-across-the-stage-during-wild-solo in a for the most part pretty traditional Baptist church. He got a pretty good response, actually.
    Dave Atell calls blackouts *time-travelling*
    :)

20. OK Bassteban, you've got me convinced: I have a party-cover-gig Saturday at a 60th birthday or something, this time with soloing-with-bass-behind-the-head (hope the tux allows that kind of arm movement) and some seeeeerious stage-diving :D:D:D