1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I can't decide which bass I like better

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Uncle K, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I own 2 basses: a MIM Fender P-bass with a Jazz neck, and a Squier VM Jaguar short scale. They both sound good, feel comfortable, and look pretty. Now I can't decide which one I like more and its driving me crazy. Whenever I pick one up to play I'll put it down within 5 minutes, and pick up the other one. I can't get any serious practice in because I'm too busy comparing the two. I would love to have only one bass but I don't think I can bring myself to sell either one. I've thought of taking one out of the house, but I don't know anyone I would trust with my bass for a long period of time. Help.

2. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    I believe that's called ocd haha just put one in like a case and put it in the back of a closet or in your car trunk (not the best idea unless you live in a good climate) you seriously don't have a brother or sister aunt mom dad or anything to let them hold onto for like a week. I would give one to a relative for a week then swap and see which one you prefer or just do the unthinkable and sell one eventually you'll get over it

3. Uncle K

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I trust my brother to not sell it, but his wife would go ape$#!+ if I left it their house. Also, their kids have a real knack for destroying things.

4. As time goes on you'll grow more fond of one over the other...nothing wrong with keeping both, though

5. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Have you had the chance to play them out in a live setting, with other instruments? ...

... the reason I ask, is that I have basses that I really like to play, feel and sound great when playing alone, etc ... but just dont sit or cut through as well as others in a band mix ...

.. part of owning more than one bass (ok, several basses), is recognizing their differences and where they excell (at least I use that as an excuse for momma bear), and then using them in those specific situations ...

... but seriously, I have several of the same identical bass, and used that as a test basis for my selecting strings ... I was able to do side by side comparisons, without needing to switch things around ..

FWIW, I have found that a decent P or J ( J in my case) with decent amplification gear should get you through most any situation ... and other than the ease and comfort of a short scale bass, I find my big hands tripping over themselves on a short scale ... JMHO

6. Uncle K

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA

The P-bass was my first bass and sounds good with my punk band. I've only used the Jaguar at one practice and I was also trying out a new cabinet. The cab failed so I did not get a good determination of the bass tone.

7. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

Apr 28, 2010
    O'Fallon, IL
    If you practice two hours a day, use one for the first hour, then switch. The next day, use the second one for the first hour, then switch. If you practice more or less, adjust accordingly.

It's never a bad idea to have two basses, unless you can afford three or more.