Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I can't figure out this fretboard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ethon, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    Maybe I'm just sheltered, but I've never seen a fretboard like this before?

[​IMG]

Anyone care to explain?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This was discussed at one point, i thinkit allows you to play like , out of tune? or something, im not completely sure, i think embellisher or mark knew something about it,

blah

3. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Wow, I've never seen one like that before either. I was expecting to see fanned frets but definetly not that.... Maybe someone will have an answer

4. perhaps it allows for microtones? :meh:

5. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    I don't know, but I've been sitting here for like 20 minutes trying to figure out what the hell it would sound like, or even how'd you play some of those notes...

edit: after some google-research (the best kind of research), I think this has something to do with it? I'm just as confused as before, tho :meh:

6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    quarter notes (1/4)? :confused:

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    mmnope

9. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I would think that all the frets would need to be the same across all strings for that to work. Just pushing some closer together or farther apart and adding in a few extra between where "normal" frets are.

Edit: Unless someone was really thinking and cut out the parts of the frets on the strings that would produce out of scale notes. So that is probably what they did, just left the frets on for the strings that would have notes in scale. Pretty cool idea actually.

Edit Again: And the more I think about it, it would also make it a hell of a lot easier to fret in some places!

10. It is indeed a microtonal neck, if I'm in the mood to play that way I'll just use my fretless thank you. :) LOL
    Dirk

11. Thanks for making me listen. Now my teeth hurt. :D

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Judging by the name if the picture (warw_th5jintonat.jpg), I'd say it's set up for playing using just intonation in more than one key.

For instance, in the key of C a just-intoned major 3rd (C to E) would need to be a bit flatter than what you'd normally find on a guitar or bass. However, if you moved to the key of A (and left A where it was), that A-E interval (a fifth) would be too flat, and sound very bad.

Just intonation yields what, for stringed instruments, are the most consonant-sounding intervals within one key. But, you can't just shift keys without re-adjusting all the distances. Equal temperament (what guitars, basses, and most everything else these days use) is a system where the just-intoned intervals are all tweaked just a little bit so that it's not perfectly consonant, but it's equally bad in all keys. :)

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Some interesting stuff there - but I'm not sure if the sounds I like are any of the really exotic intervals, or just some familiar ones that are also found in those scales.

Also, his little manifesto sounds like someone who doesn't really understand music theory:

There's a whole lot of subtlety and "in-between" you can get just using the 12-tone scale. Of course, adding more intervals adds more range - I'm not disagreeing with that.

Also, there's a fundamental tie between the timbre of an instrument (the harmonics produced when you pluck the string, for example) and the scale used on it. Some of the music he's written for 22-tet etc may sound much different (perhaps better?) on a different instrument. For example, metallophones used Indonesian gamelan music have a very different overtone series than stringed instruments. They are often tuned in a 9-tone equal temperament, which would sound pretty bad on a stringed instrument but sounds just fine in that context.

Drums are another example. You can tune drums (or cymbals) to 12-tet (Terry Bozzio is only one example) and it sounds OK, but there are other scales out there that fit the overtones better.

14. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Not my cup of tea

15. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Why not email Warwick to see if this was a factory job.

16. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
  17. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    hrm... it sounds more out of tune than exotic. I can't say I really dig it but I'm sure there are people who do. Couldn't all of this be accomplished on a fretless though?

18. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    eastern musicians use microtonal voicings

very subtle changes in tone

our 12 tone scale can be overwelming to them

19. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    so what's going on at the lowest 3 'frets' area