Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I CANT HEAR MYSELF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WayCoolJr, Feb 2, 2006.

1. WayCoolJr

WayCoolJr

Jan 20, 2006
    I have the problem of not being able to hear myself when we practice (my band, that is) We play like Dream Theater Mixed with Motley Crue. Normally my Hartke 120Watt Kickback 10 does the job but now we have 2 guitarists with 60 watts each and 2 drummers who play louder than most on their own. They both use double bass and both have invested huge amounts of money in their sets. So I am obviously looking to upgrade my rig. I really like Gallien-Krueger and am trying to decide between the Backline 250or the Backline 600, or maybe even the Behringer BX300 head (450 watts for 250 bucks is awful intriguing). And to top that what cabinet should I get, The GK410 or GK115. Or do I go with The Behringer and get one of their cabs to handle the power. Someone please help! :meh:

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You want to stay away from Berhinger in my experience. They sound fine but are unreliable. While GK puts out some great products, the Backline series is not a line that has gotten great reviews. What is your price range? Perhaps there is a good alternative to both. Also, you guys are practicing too loud. Turn down if you want to keep your hearing.

3. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    what is your price range for head and cab?

4. WayCoolJr

WayCoolJr

Jan 20, 2006
    my price range is extremely being that I'm only 16 and have parents that don't hand out gifts. I can go to around 400 bucks for both cab and head. Oh and I can;t help but practice loud. We usually practice in one of the drummer's gargage and i plug in a 30 foot cable and walk outside the garage. It honestly probably gives me a better feel for the music. But Yea most of our gigs are outside. Our last one was a Kiss cover concert at a halftime show of a football game (powder puff). I have over 300 hours experience running and setting up and tearing down live sound gear and own a lot of it. So di is no problem for me. I just want good tone thats loud enough to make the neighbors mad and hear during practice.

5. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Unless you come up with some of the greatest used scores ever, you aren't going to find anything that will compete for $400.

If you've got all that PA gear, just get a SansAmp Bass Driver (if you like the sound - try before you buy!) and run into the PA.

6. WayCoolJr

WayCoolJr

Jan 20, 2006
    Yea those are really nice and my PA gear includes a mackie 24 channel board with phantom power, 2 ev monster speakers, idont know what they are. Crown amps, dbx eqs dbx compressor, lexicon effects and so on. The thing is, I cant fit all that into the garage. As I said, 2 drummers with massive sets. All i can fit is my 1986 peavey something with 2 all in one cabs PA system and quite frankly, i dont like the tone it puts out. If i really buckle down and save I could prolly come up with $600. But id loose some old PA gear but who cares!

7. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Peavey Nitrobass (or firebass) used
    212 SS cab

300 watts of goodness

8. WayCoolJr

WayCoolJr

Jan 20, 2006
    where can i find one?

9. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Well, grab those EV speakers, and a Crown power amp, and just add a bass pre-amp and you'd be set. :cool:

I don't see how with even with $600 there's hope of competing with two loud drummers the way you describe it.

What are the guitarists using? If it's two "cranked to eleven" 60 watt amps with full stacks, that's going to be a bit louder than two 60 watt amps with a 2x12 each, set to about four.

10. WayCoolJr

WayCoolJr

Jan 20, 2006
    One Uses a behringer v-amp 2x10, (never had a problem with it except fr the power distorts the sound at wierd times) and the other Uses a fender frontman combothats 60 watts. I thought the rule was 4x the watts of the guitars. Maybe i messed that one up. I dont think i need that much power. if it makes any difference, I play an epiphone thunderbird. Oh and i like the spinal tap reference

11. WayCoolJr

WayCoolJr

Jan 20, 2006
    ok but what about an ashdown MAG300. What sound do they put out, like do more funk users use it or could it be used for a good classic rock sound?

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Just take one of the EV cabs, add a power amp, add a preamp and you are set. If you already have a good power amp, just add a preamp. You won't get the sound of a great cab, but it will more than likely beat most cabs in the price range.

13. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Look for a nitrobass head

You could get 2X 212 cabs, start off for oen and it will be around 400 or so. With one cab at 4 OHMS your pushing 300 watts, with another cab, the nitrobass pushes out 450 with more speaker area. I have found the 12 in speakers have great mids which is awesome for rock and funk. YRMV

14. You could pick up a Kustom Groovebass 1200 for around $400 used. Then maybe look for a used Peavey cabinet or something for $200 or under. It'll definately throw out more sound than your combo amp, but if you had more money you could pick up a better cabinet.

15. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I have a GK 800RB for sale in the classifieds of this very site, just inside of your budget.. I noticed it was in your GAS list ;)

I also have an Avatar SB112lf I could part with for maybe $160. They make a pretty sweet pair, PM me if you're interested.

16. at about 500Hz and below frequency wise, it can take up to 15ft for bass waves to form properly (depending on temperature and humidity and all that kinda thing) for the time being, save up and try positioning your amp at head hight facing towards you about 10-15ft away, and you should be able to find a 'sweet spot' where you volume is highest, also your tone will be improved here. The best advice i can give is aim for an amp that is twice as good as what you can afford, do whatever it takes to save up for it and then get it. You can waste alot of money upgrading your gear every year. Skip a few steps. ;)

17. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    That's not nearly as loud as I was anticipating.

With $600 it's very do-able. These other guys will have better suggestions than what I can give.

For the guy who said bass waves take awhile to develop, this is very true. I've found that in my band's small practice space my amp is much higher than it would be at a gig. But the volume just isn't there at rehearsals without the amp being a full "level" (out of ten) higher - I run it at three (nine-o'-clock) at gigs, but at practices it's at four (ten-thirty).

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Two drummers? Gawd..that's my worst nightmare.

19. WayCoolJr

WayCoolJr

Jan 20, 2006
    Yea your tellin me. I think I'm just gonna go with the GK Backline 600, BLX115 and BLX410. I will upgrade further once i get in college or whatever and play some bigger gigs.

20. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    get earplugs!

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

if you are waiting to save for longer, the qsc rmx850 paired with a bbe bmax is a great combo. some people go for the sansamp over the bbe. then of course theres the question of speaker cabs. your local shops will probably have some good used deals.