I can't know if I will be available.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by basseux, Jun 28, 2022.

1. basseux

basseux

Jan 10, 2010
    A gig had to be rescheduled Thursday next week.
    However my professional situation makes it that i don't know if i will have to take Holliday's or have to work (regular job)
    If i have to take holliday, I will not stay in town a whole week just for one gig, or even 2 or 3, whatever i don't need the little money we get through that, I need Holliday's.

Some insisted that I had to say of yes or no I will be there, but I say I can't know yet.
    Booking a sub is the logical thing to do since they don't want to refuse the gig, and use a sub paid 100€. ( While we make 300€ for the whole band )

They did the same last week for the day of music, I was slamming at a music festival, and I said I couldn't be there since a long time, i had the tickets since 3 years because COVID, and play with them for 6 months now.

They were not entirely satisfied with the sub, he learned half the song right, so they want to rehearse with him Wednesday next week.

So I suggested that if I know I will be there, in the end, like even the day of the show, we just can give the 100 euro to the guy for learning the songs and losing a booked night, while I get to play with my band.

Because if I am available finally, why would someone play in my place ?

I think I was transparent, to describe the situation, and it seems to me more honest than bailing at the last moment.

But I got no answer from that suggestion.

What do you think ?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  2. Egg250

Egg250

Jan 10, 2022
    I'm new to this, but I think you need to be able to commit to a date, in advance. If you can't commit, the band is right to get a sub and you are wrong for wanting the option to snatch the gig from the sub at the last minute. If you are consistently not available or unable to commit, the band would be right in finding a full time replacement.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you want to be in a band, you have to be willing to give your availability ahead of time, so gigs can be booked without having to call everyone to confirm.

In most bands I've been in, we had a blackout calendar. If you hadn't given the blackout date, it was assumed you were available.

4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Just let the sub take the gig and schedule a vacation.

5. basseux

basseux

Jan 10, 2010
    Seems not relevant to the situation, as I don't know if I won't be available.

If my employer says i have to stay in town, i will be available in town to gig.
    If he says i have to take Holliday's, then I will not stay in town a whole week for 1 gig.
    But i don't know yet what's going to happen.

Charlie Tuna likes this.
  6. basseux

basseux

Jan 10, 2010
    The sub would get 100€ by staying at home and I play for free in my band, because we don't take the money individually, it's put in a pot to pay rehearsals, or subs, so how would that be snatching a gig ?

I though the whole purpose of a sub is subbing if necessary, be it at the last minute.

In all cases the 100€ would go in the pocket of the sub for his availability or playing.

DanTheMan2112 and Charlie Tuna like this.
  7. BoomSTICK

BoomSTICK

Jul 23, 2001
    Atlanta
    Give the sub the gig and be done with it. Take that vacation. No reason to introduce stress on your sub or put your bandmates in an awkward position.

The sub may be holding plans aside as well as you.

8. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I don't see how you can be in a gigging band if you can't commit to a date a week in advance. Is your work schedule like this every week or just some times or seasonal?

9. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Somewhere else here (possibly...) there's a guy posting "I agreed to take a sub gig, I'm on pace for learning all the material, agreed to a rehearsal, and now the original guy thinks he might to play the gig after all."

BoomStick had it right:

10. If this is happening at six months in, I'd say you're not ready to be in gigging band. You've got too much going on. Bow out and try again when you have better handle on your situation.

11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    My point. If you cannot commit to a schedule, you shouldn't be in a band.

12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Take the gig and if you need another holiday (with 1 L) just tell your boss you think you have covid. Solved.

Pulverizor and OnTheDownLow like this.
  13. BrotherMister

BrotherMister

Nov 4, 2013
    Scotland
    PVG Membership
    I’m going to offer a different perspective here.

In the professional realm this sort of stuff crops up often. Especially during covid with isolation times fluctuating due to daily tests.

In that instance check the sub is available. Pass over all the gig details and have them ready to go but be prepared to give them some sort fee for their time. It doesn’t have to be all of the gig fee but give them something decent. Like if he’s expecting 100 for the gig he’s not going to moan at 50 for not doing it. Just make sure you set a deadline. If you still don’t know by x time, then accept they are going to do the gig because eventually you are wasting their time.

Remember you are paying these people for their time and you don’t know what they are turning down just to be on standby for a gig they might not do. So make sure you are keeping them sweet.

I’ve literally witnessed a sax player turn up to basically set up a music stand, get paid for turning up and go home because the original sax player managed to make the gig. No musician complains about getting paid to do nothing, that’s the dream!

14. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I agree with other comments that your band needs you to be able to commit or refuse ahead of time. You can't hold your band hostage just because you don't have a convenient schedule. I get that non weekend gigs present similar problems for a lot of people, but that is something (the possibility of doing non weekend shows) that should be agreed upon and discussed while it is still hypothetical - not when a gig is on the line. If I had a band mate who regularly was unable to take gigs, I'd be making some choices of my own: Do we need to replace that person? Do I need to find a more stable band? The fact that you got no answer suggests that they may be having similar thoughts. It's not intentional - you have perfectly reasonable situations to not be able to make these gigs - but you're becoming a point of drama for them. Lecture over.

All that being said, I was in a similar situation last fall. I had hernia surgery scheduled for less than a week before a scheduled gig. Surgery was scheduled months before the band even started booking. I had no idea if I would be up being on stage for 3-4 hours 4 days after the operation. I suspected I could, but to be safe I told BL to get a sub for me. After he secured the sub, I asked BL if the sub was doing this because he wanted to or more as a favor ("sure, I'll bail you out") and the reason for this question was because I had a similar idea to pay the sub for his efforts if it turned out I could play - if he was just doing a favor. The sub was there for pleasure so the scenario was never broached. It turned out I could have done it, but the sub played the gig with no issue from me.

I've been in THAT situation too where the guy I was subbing for became available - and I just got a "thanks, but we won't need you" without any sort of compensation for having learned their show. It sucked. Yeah it was a month in advance, but I'd blocked my calendar for them and had the show ready. In my mind (and many others here), I should have been paid something for my efforts or at least been given a choice. So I'd never do that to someone else.

But I see nothing wrong with the concept of forfeiting all or part of my gig pay to the sub who did all the work, but didn't do the show. It seems like a valid approach - if the sub is willing to do the work for just pay. If not, let them sub you and work with the band to try to prevent future mid week gigs.

squarepeg, BlueTalon, Aceman and 3 others like this.
  15. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    If you were in my band, and you "do not know" your availability, I would - with great regret - fire you.

16. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I'm currently in a situation where my company, partly through sheer incompetence, is currently unable to provide a roster for more than three weeks at a time, and each roster gets issued pretty much on the last day of the previous...with constant pattern and start time changes.
    It's a major reason (the other being injury-related) I won't commit to any serious project right now. It's not fair on others to be holding them back from committing to a gig or even rehearsal.
    If I were the OP, I'd step away.
    Someone above suggested not paying the sub the full fee agreed if he's not needed, and I do think that's not acceptable. He's freed himself up to be available, maybe losing out on another gig, and deserves the pay.

17. Egg250

Egg250

Jan 10, 2022
    I don't play music because I like money, of course, I don't want to play for free. What I mean is, it's not just about the money. If I spend my time and energy preparing for a gig I committed to, and the regular player swoops in and steals my gig, that's like a big, middle finger.

Of course, that's just my perspective.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  18. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

I got around all of this by starting my own band. These guys played to my schedule...HA!

DanTheMan2112 and Dust2Dust like this.
  19. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    This is the correct answer

20. basseux

basseux

Jan 10, 2010
    I would gladly take the vacations if they told me to taken them.

I don't see how the situation is awkward.
    A sub is booked and would be paid whether he plays or not with bands earnings and since we don't pay ourselves I basically play for free.

I am a consultant, and my 4 years long mission ends this week, and my employer didn't find a mission yet, therefore usually they either ask you to be available or can ask you to take a week of hollidays.

So this is a rare situation.