1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I could use a little help identifying SD Jazz Pickups...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by robbassbass, May 6, 2015.

1. robbassbass

robbassbass

Feb 2, 2008
    Hi guys, I am having a hard time identifying a couple of SD pickups that I pulled out of a 78' Jazz Bass.

According to SD there should be a number somewhere which could help identify the actual models. However I have gone over both pickups and there are no numbers, or any identifying marks (to my untrained eye) that I could find.

So I thought to upload some photos and see if anyone more familiar with SD pickups could recognise them! As I said, these were both pulled from the same jazz bass, although they don't seem to be a part of a set, just a couple of odd fellows. One has a really faded Basslines logo, the other has a SUPER faded Seymour Duncan script logo.

photo-18.JPG photo-20.JPG

Thanks guys I really appreciate it!

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Better pics would help a lot.

The bottom one is a stacked humbucker for sure. The exposed pole pieces make it an STK-1, STK-2, or Lighting Rod if it's active.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  3. robbassbass

robbassbass

Feb 2, 2008
    Thanks for your help. Sorry about the pics, not great I know. I will take some better/lighter ones later! The pickups are definitely passive, so I will have a look at STK-1 & STK-2's to see if there is a way to distinguish between them:/

4. robbassbass

robbassbass

Feb 2, 2008
    Oh I forgot to mention, the top pickup in the photo is wrapped in a copper foil.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i wonder if the copper foil was added later. if somebody tried that to reduce the single coil hum, it won't work for that; it'll also dull the highs a little bit.

you can narrow down what they are (as well as telling if they still work) by reading DC resistance, then looking up duncan's "tone chart" to see which ones come closest.

6. robbassbass

robbassbass

Feb 2, 2008
    They were very noisy pickups - a lot of hum, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone did add the foil in an attempt to chill it out. It looks pretty pro though.
    I don't have any way of reading resistances, I might have to take it to the shop down the road and see what they reckon. Cheers!

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    even the stacked one? tone considerations aside, that one should have been dead-quiet.

8. robbassbass

robbassbass

Feb 2, 2008
    The neck pickup was really noisy, I remember that. So maybe the stacked was by the bridge? I will check when I am home tonight as they are slightly different sizes so I will be able to see which one was where.

9. robbassbass

robbassbass

Feb 2, 2008
    that would make sense though! Maybe the previous owner thought the neck was noisy so wrapped it in foil in an attempt to shut it up, to make it more like the stacked...