1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I don't get this T-Bird ad

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BlackLake, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Not sure if this has been already addressed, but I read something odd in a recent Epiphone TB ad.

Pg. 33 March 08 BP Magazine.

The ad has a short list of specs (scale, design, warranty etc) and also reads:

"TB Plus Bass Humbuckers since 1873"

huh?

2. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Typo?

3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    It has been in the T-Bird ads for several years in many publications I thought it might have been a typo but don't you think they would have corrected it by now?

4. I was thinking that maybe the pups were designed in 1973. Or it's meant to imply that the Epiphone company was started in 1873

5. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    I could be wrong, but I think Epiphone was started in the late 20's/early 30s by the Strathopoulo (sp?) Brothers, one being called Epi by nickname. Epi phone.

They did well. Their carved guitars were right up there with Gibson, D'Angelico, Stromberg, etc.

6. The house of Stathopoulo goes back into the 1800s... If Gibson claims it's 1873, it's 1873. I think Gibson only claims to go back to 1892.

Just from memory there...

7. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    Maybe it's a joke.

Haha.

8. Epiphone was a family business established in 1873 as "the House of Stathopoulo" by Anastasios Stathopoulo, a greek violin maker. In 1923 they incorporated and at this time made mostly high quality and fancy banjos. In 1928 the name was changed to "Epiphone" after Epi Stathopoulo, president of the company and one of the founder's sons. In the 1930's, the company changed its emphasis to guitars. Epiphone was the only banjo company to successfully switch to guitar production.

The C.G. Conn Company (a band instrument manufacturer) bought Epiphone in 1953 and moved production to Philidelphia (although the labels still said New York). This was done partially as a "strike break" move, as New York Epiphone workers were in conflict with the Stathopoulio family. The Stathopoulo family regained control again in 1955, but few if any instruments were made in 1956 and 1957.
    The Chicago Musical Instrument company (CMI), which owned Gibson, bought Epiphone in 1957. When CMI purchased Epiphone, they got all of Epiphone's current stock of parts including bodies, necks, pickups, etc. Gibson used these "New Yorker" parts in conjuction with their own parts when making Epiphones from 1958 to 1961. By 1961 Gibson has used up all the original New York-made Epiphone parts, and then used Gibson parts made in Kalamazoo. Instruments from 1958 to 1969 are commonly referred to as "Gibson/Epiphones".

When Norlin purchased CMI (Gibson) in 1969, all Epiphone production was moved to Japan. Later, productions was moved to Korea. Many of the imported instruments bear a label with Gibson's Kalamazoo address and no mention of Japan or Korea, which can be misleading. However, these import instruments have model numbers that do not correspond with Kalamazoo made Epiphone model numbers listed below. Also the serial number is usually 7 digits or longer (unlike U.S. made Epi's with a 6 digit or less serial number).

9. As a guitar company, Gibson was founded in 1902. However, Orville Gibson was around in the 1890s.

Originally epiphones date from the 1870s

(all from wikipedia).

So guess it makes sense about the ad. Though i doubt they had a TB bass back in those days!

Beat me to it with a much more detailed post :p

10. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    That's been on a while now. Looks like they left out a "bullet" I guess proof reading isn't in the budget anymore?

11. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    Whatever the case, It worked.

No one has ever spent this much time talking about an Epiphone ad EVER.

Somebody at Epiphone needs to buy the guy who made the ad a dinner.

12. Ah, I think that explains it:

Ad should read:

- TB Plus Humbuckers
    - Since 1873

That makes more sense.

13. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Maybe they're trying to rope up a few of the vintage nuts.

I mean, just imagine how much mojo and magic tone a 135 year old pickup would have :p :bag:

14. Gibson probably fired the proof reading guy along with the quality control guys :p

15. I'm gonna start checking out antique shops for "Victorian" era humbucker pickups. I'm sure the folks on Antique Road Show will value them around $12,000-$15,000.

16. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Richard Wagner insisted that his basses be equipped with Epi humbuckers for his operas. ;)

Those Epiphone ads are generally pretty shoddy. Sometimes they look like they have been scanned in over a cel phone.

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    ;)Mozart had an Epi t-bird five string bass ...:smug:

He used to moonlight in a punk band ...:hyper:

18. The date for when "Gibson" began as a instrument manufacturing entity is kind of murky. I've read 1892, 1894 and 1896 as far as dates that Orville Gibson actually was comercially making and selling instruments. While the 1902 date is correct for the company... it was incorporated in 1904.

19. hmmmmm, something fishy going on here...

bass-hanewinckel-title.

20. There's so much creative rearranging of history with Gibson/Epiphone... especially by way of advertising.

Sort of like using the 'Les Paul used the Epiphone factory and Epiphone equipment to tinker on "the Log," so therefore, the first Les Paul Model was an Epiphone' inference.

The other thing that's maddening to me- Epiphone had an ad out that referred to the Mini-Humbucker as a "New York" pickup. I've seen bunches of people referring to the MiniHums as "New York" pickups as a result. Epiphone "New York" pickups are single coils. There are around 5 different variations of the Epiphone "New York" pickup. As I've been able to suss out, the Gibson MiniHum was designed partially to replace the "New York" pickups, which had run out of stock, as well as to be used in a couple of Gibson models. Never, in 40+ years was the MiniHum ever referred to as the "New York" pickup- it only confuses the point of what pickup is on what guitar.