1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I don't like too much "definition". Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Camarillo, Jan 6, 2021.

1. In my taste, I like the bass to be "felt" than "heard". I don't mean it has to be low in volume in the mix. I would say it's a vintage style sound approach.
    I prefer flats over roundwounds. When roundwounds I prefer (old) nickels.
    I prefer fingers over pick.
    Regarding cabinets I prefer 12" and 15", I'd like to try 18"....
    I try to find the clipped (compressed) sound of valve heads or DI's form the past, with less dynamics (I don't own one unfortunately, I compensate with pedals and plugins in my daw).
    I'm in the mood of swapping pickups on my '91 MIM Jazz Bass, and I ordered the Epic Custom Shop E1 because they sound fatter and with less attack.
    In the same mood I was considering an high mass bridge but considering what I am listening here, I prefer the warmth of the vintage bridge.
    When I mix my recordings I prefer the compressor set with an aggressive fast attack to smooth the transients and let the notes to "fade in" more gently. I don't play metal, or funky slap, but more soul, soft rock and I don't need "the other" type of sound.
    Obviously the genre matters.
    Am I the only one? What other "tricks" do you use to achieve "that" type of sound?

btmpancake, Bozzy, Danny C and 16 others like this.
  2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I'm more interested in thump than twang. I use passive pickups, nylon tapewound strings and neck or middle position pickups. I also pluck near the neck and use upright style right hand fingering techniques to help get it.

Bozzy, retslock, Danny C and 4 others like this.
  3. marchone

marchone Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    It’s old school vs modern. It happened when Fender moved the bridge pup on the Jazz Bass. Then electronics went onboard. The rest was when tubes were replaced by circuit boards.

I play passive basses too. I was dismayed by the modern tones I got from SS amps. Then I learned I could get a B-15N palette through a pedal.

I’m happy now.

Bozzy, retslock, Davbassdude and 2 others like this.
  4. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    That's what the "tone control" is for! I don't like toooo much definition either!

0*qV7UOYs2bbBWYfM_.png

5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I have vintage passives with flats and some actives and EBMM with rounds so I cover the range that way. I keep my compressor as more of a high limit and as a bonus it rounds up any light harmonics when I’m trying to be all Jaco which I’m honestly not fooling anyone. And a tube preamp pedal for a little hair when it’s needed. I guess there are a lot of different preferences and surely it depends what you play.

Bajo Clarkko and Camarillo like this.
  6. Yeah...and of course I prefer passive over active, and tone know not over 50%

JeezyMcNuggles and jamro217 like this.
  7. What pedal?

BOOG likes this.
  8. marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Broughton Fliptop.

9. Didn't know it. Thanks! :thumbsup:

BOOG and marchone like this.
  10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

If you're playing arrangements with loads of chords, you'll want that higher-definition.
    Most bass-players do not play chords & are the polar opposite to this:

11. I have the following bass cabinets; 2x10, 4x10, 1x12, 1x15, and 1x18. The sound I like best is the 1x18, but I almost never have the chance to use it for a gig. Not sure why that is, it just seems to work out that way.

Thump on,

One_Dude

mikewalker likes this.
  12. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I like a good solid low end, but most of the time, I need a good attack on the note, too. Any tune with a decent amount of energy, I need to be part of driving the beat, and that means I need attack/definition.

waynobass, 31HZ and Helix like this.
  13. Single coil in my P-bass is wound to 29.9k. Pair that with Flats , 0.1 cap and tone rolled back, pluck with thumb.

Nope @Camarillo , you are not alone my friend :thumbsup:

mikewalker likes this.
  14. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Modern Tubes

upload_2021-1-6_18-0-58.png

Vintage Tubes

upload_2021-1-6_18-2-20.png

Pick any 2

15. Lagado

Lagado Inactive

Jan 6, 2020
    I think the 18"s would be your cup of tea, way back I used a Peavey 1820 which was an 18" with two 10"s. Big fundamental spread, you could feel it.

btmpancake and Jason Hollar like this.
  16. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016

17. Alnico 5 pickups. Wound to 10.2K

Camarillo likes this.
  18. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    I enjoy a really smooth top end. I’ll take out a few db around 2.7KHZ and boost some 60HZ. Works for me.

19. I angle my bass in a more upright position than horizontal and pluck near the end of the board with the fleshy (side) part of my fingers. By lowering the tone and volumes (especially on the Ric) the tone mellows out nicely without any harshness. I run a compressor most of the time, too. Learning how to EQ your gear is crucial to getting a good sound.

20. marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    There’s a mega thread here in Effects. They are hard to get but I got lucky.

Camarillo and Zbysek like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021