I failed it up live...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Aug 4, 2009.

1. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Get a G&L, flip the switch to passive and rock on!

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

This. I use the same interval, and haven't ever had a problem.

3. Xanthyr

Xanthyr

Apr 19, 2008
    Bakersfield, Ca
    In addition to that, if you're in a jam-happy band, you will thank everything that you know and love when you're able to recover, "That one BAD ASS thing we played last month" that no one remembers.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    This is what I do too. Even under heavy usage, it's amazing how long that lil 9 volt battery will last you if you just unplug the cord from the input jack.

5. Jactap

Jactap

Aug 4, 2006
    Bremerton, Wa
    A little off topic

Would a pedal power supply with a battery clip adapter work in an emergency?
    I think it'll work, you'd have to stand/sit very close to an outlet but you'd have sound
    I'd try it out myself but I don't have any active basses.

6. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    On my active basses I just replace the batteries on all of them right around January 1st every year so I don't forget. This leaves plenty of room for margin of error, even if I do occasionally forget to unplug one overnight. Never had a battery failure.

7. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    and here i thought this was gonna be another barf thread.

8. If you mean the awesomeness of the player than I'd be screwed.

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I had the same thing happen to me once at an audition. Had to quickly got to the store to buy a new battery.

Now I play strictly passive basses because batteries blow.

BTW, I still managed to pass the audition. They were more of a jam band anyway... very laid back.

10. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    get rechargeables... be responsible

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I think this is something that should be a bigger consideration when choosing an instrument that is going to be all you use.

So - don't take along something that won't make a sound without batteries. I really like how the 55-02 will convert to passive mode just by pulling up the volume knob! :)

A great feature!

12. lexxmexx

lexxmexx

Apr 7, 2008
    If only there are plutonium powered batteries available....you won't ever need to change your batts for the rest of your life.

13. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I think it was EBS that allowed phantom powering of active basses: Most active basses use a standard TRS jack for the output jack. When you short the ring and sleeve with a standard instrument jack (TS), you complete the connection and the battery powers the active circuit. What EBS does is put a voltage on the ring and sleeve, which powers the circuit instead of drawing from the battery.

It'd be very simple to hook a 9v wallwart on a TRS jack and do the same thing. I've often wondered why no one offers this sort of thing commercially.

KO

14. whocaresnotme

whocaresnotme

Jun 21, 2009
    BATTERY!!!!. Dude that sounds cool! Where do I get one GC?

15. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Wouldn't it be easier to keep 1 or 2 9v's in your case than a power supply?

I change mine twice a year, just to be safe, and always make sure to unplug my cord from the jack between sets.

16. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    A&R, Soulless Corporation Records
    My friend modded his in case it happens mid-song. He put a 2-battery cavity, then put a switch for either battery, and led's for whichever one it's turned to. He plays with a pick mainly, so it's actually right behind the bridge, so he can hit it with his wrist.

17. AwesomeMcBadass

AwesomeMcBadass

Jul 15, 2009
    Exactly.
    Sometimes I'll play a badass solo and since I have a horrible memory, it's nice to have it recorded.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've found batteries to be odd like that ... one minute they're working, the next, dead.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021