1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I feel like I hit a wall

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by NickTej22, Nov 2, 2013.

1. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    I've been playing music in general for maybe (dedicated) 12 years, I've had influences that have changed over the years that I always tried to idolize when playing, my main one of course being Ryan Martinie. I'm not horrible, but I feel like my progression at getting better has hit a wall. Anyone have any advice, maybe some training ideas? I am completely self taught. Should I pick up a learning DVD or something?(Lol)

2. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Look at some books, and a teacher wouldn't be a bad idea. How's your ear? Learn as much music from diverse styles as you can, using your ear. Eventually it will come out in your playing.

3. Play music you're not comfortable with. Stretch.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Couple questions.

Are you in a band?

What kinds of music do you like?

What are your goals? (In other words, how "good" do you want to be?)

5. August West

August West Supporting Member

May 19, 2009
    Colorado
    Transcribe bass lines and solos you like. That's the best way to learn and grow as a player.

6. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    Yeah I'm in a band, we play, and I love metal/hard rock. My goal is to stick with it(while of course meeting my priorities in line), and see how far I can take it.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Getting a good teacher who can show you good musical stuff based around jazz to study will help a lot. Roy Vogt has a really deluxe course for learning called "Teach Me Bass Guitar" if you can't swing a teacher: http://www.teachmebassguitar.com/ . There are also several good books with DVD's out there. Stay away from the more gimmicky books, though, and get a couple that teach you reading and chord theory. You're at that point where you could use it to move up to the next level, it sounds like.

8. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    This is just a block in your thinking process, similar to a rut. Find a good teacher, you need another's thought process to free yours. Self help books and DVD's are good, but it is still relies on how you thinking about the ideas being presented, so rather than freeing up your block it just adds more to it.......the same can be said for a little bit of new/different thinking, a little idea may loosen and free your block. :)

9. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Jun 9, 2013
    Don't worry about it. It happens to everyone sometimes.
    Pick up one of your basses that you haven't in some time and play as hard as you can. Smile the whole time, even if it's forced. Grin like an idiot and pluck the strings until your hands explode. Even if your song sucks. Just play as hard as you can.

10. srbassdude

srbassdude

Apr 8, 2013
    Also branch out and find other musicians who are more advanced and soak up any advice they give you. Never be afraid to ask hey how did you do that. Playing with "better" musicans is a great way to expand your musical abilities and think of things in a way you never thought before

11. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

Don't be too hard on yourself...play with different musicians just for fun, play some songs you love, experiment with some different styles you normally don't play and you will fall back in love and you'll likely get out if the rut that you believe you are in
    We all go thru it

12. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    Thanks guys for all the tips, that's a lot of great ideas for anyone when they feel like that.

13. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Jump into a new style of music, not necessarily because you like it, but because it might add to your skill set. Hell, you might end up liking it anyway. While I don't believe in the "if you can play jazz, you can play anything" trope, I think it's true that jazz can offer a huge set of skills that you can apply anywhere.