I fritzed my Clarus II

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Damon Rondeau, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I do about one EBG gig per year and that number came up this week. Took my Clarus II, 12" Ampeg Portabass cab and my Fender Frankenbass with active EMGs. The level and master were both set to 12 noon or close to it; this setting had worked OK in the few days before. Anyhoo, on the first note I played for the sound guy at sound check off went the amp. Thought I'd blown a fuse. Nope. Now the folks at Long & McQuade tell me they're pretty sure I fried it.

It's on warranty and I've got a loaner for tonight's gig but I just thought I should log it for y'all. I knew I was pushing things a bit but I'm a bit surprised I may have toasted it. I'm far too middle-aged for **** like that...
  2. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Give Rick Jones a call directly at Acoustic Image. He is a very standup guy and provides fantastic support personally. His amps are designed in a modular fashion and he should be able to help you diagnose it over the phone so that the offending module could be sent directly to you for replacement by you or a local tech. While a blown amp is always a drag, I think you'll be pretty amazed at the level of support that you get.

Erik Hansen
    Los Angeles
  3. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Thanks for the suggestion, Erik (BTW, I certainly remember your Winnipeg connection. My how you get around!)

I'm sure AI are every bit as good as you say; the performance of the amp certainly has been very satisfying. I'm feeling quite copacetic about the whole thing as L&M is taking good care of me so far. I'd imagine they're the ones talking to Rick about this and that's fine with me.
  4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I had the a very similar experience with my first Walter Woods MI 100. When I took the amplifier out on it's "maiden voyage" I pushed the switch and it just died. I called Walter and he informed me that he had had problems with a bad run of switching power supplies. Walter fixed the problem in a day and returned the amp with only a two day turnaround.
    So even the most reliable hand built amplifier can fail due to unreliable components.

Rick Jones is a great guy. I've emailed him several times with questions
    about AI amps and he has always been very helpful.