1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Gave Away My Precision!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tr4252, Jun 4, 2020.

1. tr4252

tr4252

May 27, 2013
    I've had a "70s" Precision Bass for 20 - 25 years, and never really fell for it. Natural ash, maple board, gold plated hardware. It had an active circuit board, which I bypassed after a year or so, when it malfunctioned. Heavy, not in very good condition, I recall paying $125.00 - $150 for it, from an ad in the local Pennysaver.

The woman in my life has been using my car a lot lately, and I sometimes find myself without a ride home from work. There's a guy in the shop, a machinist, who gives me a lift whenever he can. Won't take any compensation.

We've talked a lot over the years; he used to play a little bass, among all the other war stories.

On the ride a couple of days ago, I had an inspiration. In fact, I blurted out "I've had an inspiration!", told him about the bass, and asked if it was anything he would be interested in. When he answered yes, I said "OK, I'd like to give it to you". So I ran inside and got it. It was in a gig bag. When I pulled it out, he really got enthusiastic and said it was beautiful. He seemed overjoyed, even. I made somebody happy, and it made my day.

Tom

D-G, Elusive1, JPDsma and 227 others like this.
  2. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    That's a wonderful story! Need a ride? ;)

Bluesbob, D-G, LP Custom and 95 others like this.
  3. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    That is cool. When I was a teen in the seventies, we only wanted pre-CBS Fenders. The new ones in the stores weren’t worth the price and most were too heavy. At least that was what the “conventional wisdom” was at the time. I don’t get the adoration (or the prices) for a lot of seventies Fenders today, but there are certainly some nice ones out there from that period. Yours wasn’t being played, was heavy and kind of beat. Good on you for giving it to someone who’ll make good use of it. Good Karma will come from your generosity.

D-G, tr4252, feschyn and 6 others like this.
  4. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I like your story, OP.
    Good one!

tr4252, feschyn, shadven and 2 others like this.
  5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Post of the day!

Cafiveoh, tr4252, JJR58 and 10 others like this.
  6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Yes, pay it forward. Last weekend I gave my mint Squier Cabronita bass to my wife's coworker to give to her son on his birthday. She sent a photo of him opening it. The smile on his face was priceless.

JPDsma, dan55128, tr4252 and 28 others like this.
  7. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Excellent idea kudos to you.

tr4252 and MCF like this.
  8. jeffb28451

jeffb28451 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    Good on you! You have given me a bright spot for today during a week of big disappoint about the human condition.

tr4252, feschyn, Jmartz and 10 others like this.
  9. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    good karma.

tr4252, feschyn, MCF and 3 others like this.
  10. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    The joy of giving.

tr4252, MCF, One Way and 4 others like this.
  11. roycroft_88

roycroft_88

Dec 9, 2010
    That was really cool of you, I've gifted some nice gear in the past and I get how good it feels to make someones day. And Thank You for mentioning the Pennysaver! I forgot all about that publication, I think I got my first bass amp through that! You made my day!

tr4252, feschyn, MCF and 4 others like this.
  12. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Exactly.

tr4252, 2saddleslab and murphy like this.
  13. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    It's things like this that restores a little bit of my lost faith in humanity. You actually just inspired me to do something similar. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

JPDsma, tr4252, feschyn and 3 others like this.
  14. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    That was very kind of you!

although I thought this thread was going to be about you defretting your bass :laugh:

tr4252, feschyn and TN WOODMAN like this.
  15. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    hi tr4252 :)

taxidriver.gif

:thumbsup:

greetings

Wise(b)ass

16. spvmhc

spvmhc

Apr 14, 2011
    Generosity is a wonderful virtue.I used to think that giving things away had to be difficult-something done through gritted teeth. As I age, I've found it's pleasurable. You can choose who receives the gift. And giving things away lightens the load of all of these possessions.

PeteOlig, tr4252, feschyn and 3 others like this.
  17. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

Very nice. Some things are more important than money, material possessions, etc. People (family members, parents of deceased friends, etc.) have given me bass-related items over the years. If I'm ever in a position whereby I can can "gift" someone a nice bass or amp or effect pedal, I will absolutely do it.

tr4252, feschyn and adams83 like this.
  18. booch29

booch29

Mar 27, 2013
    israel
    Nothing compares to an act of giving from your heart! I wish more people(including me) would learn to let go Of material stuff and focus on giving onto others- for free.
    Keep on giving man, you will get a lot!

19. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    I also give away a bass or guitar every year around Christmas time. The old lady and I post an ad on CL for someone whose kid wants an instrument but they can't afford it for whatever reason. Been doing it for man, i dunno, maybe 6-7 years now? Gave up a full rig this year to a family affected by cancer. I don't donate money to causes, this is generally my cause, and it's been a cool one.

I applaud your giving nature.

hoerni, tr4252, feschyn and 13 others like this.
  20. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    ATTA BOY!!!!
    Share with your fellow man. A good deed never goes unrewarded in the long run.

It was made to be played, you made someone smile. That’s precious during these hard times.

Take care of good people.

The not so good ones, well......they can go &*($# off.

:)