1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I got my stolen bass back!

Discussion in 'Lost & Stolen Gear' started by Axtman, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Sorry but I have purposely been on radio silence. I guess I was afraid that I would jinx it.

Long story short. I met with the Craigslist guy who was selling my bass. I knew it was mine because of some telltale damage. I met him in a busy parking lot. I figured if I confronted him and he killed me there would be lots of witnesses.

Right away I got a vibe that the guy was honest. He's probably just a guy that shops pawnshops and flips gear. I did not get the impression that he stole it. I came clean and told him that it was my bass and was stolen. He did not freak out or accuse me of faking it. I showed him the police report with serial number. He told me that he would return it to the pawnshop and get his money back.

I then followed up with the police and after much screwing around they sent a detective over to the pawnshop to put the instrument on hold. I went to the pawnshop today, showed my ID and retrieved my bass.

The only bad thing was my gig bag and strap were gone. Oh well, at least I got my bass back!

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    1. You left out what kind of bass is was :) .

2. Awesome :)!!!!!!

3. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    MIJ 1987 Fender Precision, sunburst, white pickguard, rosewood board.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    kesslari and Joe Nerve like this.
  4. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    So glad you got your bass back, that is miraculous!

But a white pick guard? Srsly? Not tort? Smh...

Raz

MYLOWFREQ and Relsom like this.
  5. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I guess in order to not be thrown out of this group I will have to change out the pickguard. (heavy sigh).

Dave rosener and biguglyman like this.
  6. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Congratulations!

The black Precision in my avatar was stolen and I recovered it under rather extraordinary circumstances, so I understand how great it feels to get it back! :hyper::thumbsup:

Again, Congrats!

kesslari likes this.
  7. Actually what he should've done and posted this in the thread that he already had going about this instead of starting a whole new thread. Now everyone who followed the other thread will have no clue its been recovered and all is well. And now we have this new thread with a lot of people going to ask questions because they didn't know the original story.

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    He, or you, could post a link to this there. I would, but I dont know the thread.

9. WillyWonka

WillyWonka "zero" fret Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Somebody stole the links to your pictures...

10. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Here is my bass back home. bass.JPG

11. Friggin awesome brother!!! We all need to hear some happy endings right now. :thumbsup:

12. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Aren't pawn shops supposed to hold gear for 30days before selling, while they run the serial number by local police to see if there's a report of it being stolen?

Spectre1966 likes this.
  13. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Yes. I suspect it was a screw up on the part of the police.

14. As fellow Seattleite, let me say I'm not at all impressed with how SPD handled this; or rather didn't. 'Glad you got your bass back with minimal hassle. But seriously dude, fix that pickguard!

15. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    It was TPD (Tacoma).

16. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I like that pickguard. Looks good with the burst.

17. jellymax

jellymax Don't fry any wooden fish

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    hurrah!

18. Congratulations. That's a nice one.

19. From reading another stolen/recovered thread here, I understand that pawn shops are required to search the serial number in a database, but sometimes typos and mistakes are made, by the PD and shop owner. Not going to guess how many are intentional, but I could imagine that happening, hard to prove intent.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021