Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I gotta a nut problem...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mumbojumbo4, Nov 30, 2004.

1. mumbojumbo4

mumbojumbo4

Feb 11, 2004
    Illinois
    i dont know if this fits in the forum deally but, here we go any ways.
    I have a standard fender jazz bass and its nut is messd up. It wont hold on my E string very good. When i play hard or any thing like that, the string falls out. Is there any wasy to fix it?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just have it replaced. Fender makes some pre cut that will fit with only minimal filing. Or you could just have a new one put on. It's not too difficult. But it is not something I reccomend patching.

3. Also, make sure that you're wrapping the string around the tuner so that it's angled down over the nut with as much force as possible. Not saying that there's not actually something wrong with the nut, but it's a good idea to check every possibility...

Mike

4. mumbojumbo4

mumbojumbo4

Feb 11, 2004
    Illinois
    i was looking at it and it is only touching the sides and top of the nut, not the lower part of it. And if i replace it, can they do it at the gutar center (thats were i bought it and they will do it for free) or any other places?

5. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    do not get it done at guitar center. i needed them to resolder the input Jack on my warwick and they said that their tech probably couldnt do it so they would have to send it out to germany to have it resoldered. so i looked up the schematics online and did it myself in like 5 minutes.

6. In that case, it sounds you don't really need a new nut. You just need the slot on this one widened out a touch. You can get somebody to do that, but if it doesn't need widened too awful much, you can probably manage it by simply rubbing the string back and forth in the slot to sort of file it out until the string is also touching on the bottom of the slot (though no lower than that--you might rub pencil lead into the slot to be sure you're not cutting any out of the bottom). Are these heavier strings than originally came on it?

Mike

7. Yes indeed, it sounds like your nut just needs to be widened a bit.

You can do it as suggested with the string if it only just needs a tiny bit of widening, or carefully do it with a file. It's very easy, just be sure not to go too deep, or you will need another nut.

Good luck,

;)

Luke.

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  9. I do all of my nut filing with a nail file :bag:

10. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

:rollno:
    just when you think you've heard it all from GC..
    that's about the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while. :eyebrow: