1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I hate the word....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Surprise Panda!, Sep 14, 2008.

1. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    repercussion

2. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    fail.

Overused by a long shot...

3. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I hate it when a woman describes herself as "unique", "random" and most especially "quirky". That conversation is usually a precurser into sitting through terrible movies (see: Garden State), terrible music and most especially her own terrible poetry/prose.

4. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Work

Waaaaay overrated.

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    That was the first word which came to mind when I saw this thread.

"Insanely" used as an adjective to assign bonus points to another adjective, for example, "insanely great".

"So" as the beginning of a conversation. "So I saw this thing at GC the other day..."

Overuse of "nice".

Over(mis)use of "fail".

6. I too hate the misuse of Literally. "I was literally flying down the road..." Ummmm, no. you were not LITERALLY flying down the road. You were FIGURATIVELY flying down the road. Had you literally been flying you wouldn't have been on the road, you would have been in the air.

7. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    YES! a whole thread of Lebowski references and now this!

I did an audio project once where we had to recreate a scene from a movie...that is the scene we did...I showed up in the studio buzzed off 2 white Russians.

8. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I hate the word silly. At school, my teachers won't call the idiot kids stupid like a normal person. They have to "be nice" and just tell them to stop being silly. I want to rip peoples heads off everytime I hear someone say silly in a serious tone.

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Oy and knick-knack drive me nuts.

10. hate

11. Haterade.

12. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Irregardless. I mean what's the point, it means the same as regardless. I don't really hate it though, I just make fun of it by using "non-irregardless". Maybe if everyone used non-irregardless then irregardless would be embarrassed and go away :)

13. Non-irregardless of the use of irregardless, it wont go away regardless of the irregardless non-irregardless being used.

14. My wife thinks I hate using the word 'sorry'.

15. Doesn't every woman think every man hates using this word?

P.S.: to avert future situations where apology may be necessitated, the words "Yes, dear" can be used to get you out of pretty much anything.

16. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    uber

17. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    It is not a word.

But try telling that to those that use "whatnot"... drives me up the wall!!

18. Pile Drivingly Heavy.

19. playinpearls

playinpearls

Apr 1, 2008
    Atlanta

that gets me in more trouble...my wife hates it....she says i sound like a redneck with a natty ice in my hand...

20. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Approximately.

It's too long. Takes too long time to write and the short form "approx." is still longer than both the Finnish and Swedish words for it...

Except from that, I don't hate many words. Misspelled words are worse. I definately suport proper spelling. ;)