I have no idea whats going on

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by bassplayingfool, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Okay, I got a really cheap doublebass ($200, 3/4 size, no name or anything) because I wanted to see if I would ever like to play one. Well Since I got it its been nothing but trouble, but im thinking maybe I dont know what Im doing. First Im having a super hard time keeping it in tune. I'll tune the E, by the time I get done the E in now a D. So, I keep tuning and making it tighter and tighter, and then SNAP. The adjuster cable thingy at the bottom breaks. So I buy a new one. Start tuning again until CRACK. Bridge is snapped clean in half. So here are the questions. I have played electric bass for years, is how you tune different than on an electric bass? Were my adjuster and bridge just crap or could I have had them set up wrong? Are there any websites to learn the basics of uprights? Thank you very much for your time, Im sorry im dum, and thanks for helping me out.
  2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    No, you probably didn't do anything wrong cuz you tune a bass almost the same way you do a plank (unless you're trying to tune it to something higher than EADG).

What's the string adjuster thing at the bottom you're talking about?

Anyways, I think this is root of your problem here:

Seriously, sorry to tell you but you probably have nothing more and an expensive home decoration now. A $200 bass is the kinda bass your momma warned you about (not to mention 99% of the guys here as well). Unless you know what you're doing, it's rare to find a playable bass that costs less than $800-1000. :(
  3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    My friend, you're the proud owner of a BSO, otherwise known as a "bass shaped object". I'd demand my money back, and then spend some time looking at the newbie links here before you buy the bass you really want.

As far as websites concerning double bass info, you've already found the Holy Grail. The only other one you need is Bob Gollihur's website.
  4. The adjuster cable thingy is probably the tail piece wire.

Can you send us pictures of this bass?....maybe we could help you by seeing it.
  5. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    And it's so awful when they advertise "student models" which is usually a euphemism for "were-gonna-sell-you-for-cheap-a-crap-piece-of-wood-that-resembles-a-bass-cause-you're-new-and-don't-know-any-better"....
    It only discourages beginners, trying to play one of those things. The sellers should be shot. :mad: