Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I HAVE PROBLEMS.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Aug 8, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    MAINLY G.A.S.

SO THIS weekend, i give my new 400+ a long hard weekend to make sure its what i want in an amp. after 3 shows i realize it is. i still have some tweaking to do for a good tone without the sans amp pedal, because without it the sound is honky. which is ok, i do not play without the sans amp, i just want to see if i can dial that in(im sure with cutting the mids on the eq that would go right away.).

so anyway...

saturday. i get to the show in li. another church. ***? thankfully there was 10X the amount of kids at this one. so i go to load in, and the guy says he has a backline. turns out its an ampeg 410hlf and a ampeg 15. so i said screw it, i can now try this out and see whats up. holy cow. sounded amazing. now i have a horrible case of G.A.S.

2. that sucks...

but i'm sure you'll eventually get that perfect tone out of your amp. maybe not as perfect as you thought the ampeg was (to your ears).

but damn... i know how you feel, getting GAS after just purchasing something really does suck.

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah, im pretty sure ic an by just lowering the mids on the eq to almost off. even though its a scooped mid tone, its still needs to be scooper a bit more. when i was tooling with it the one time i tweaked like woah, when i lowered the mids all the way down it sounded really nice, just didnt cut. ill find a happy medium with more time.

but the 410 and 15. woah. so good.

4. Yeah there's something about a good 4x10 and 1x15 that kills. You should try out the Mesa Powerhouse 4x10 and 1x15. I almost shat myself when I tried that rig out with an M-Pulse 600.

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    if i do decide to upgrade, i will look into both.

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    +1 for the Mesa cabs. They will definately belt out the low notes better then the Ampegs... at least thats been the case in my experience. 10's are awesome in my book... but at times they get thin, especially for heavier genres of music. For the better part of 2 years I played a 410/115 setup and it was just awesome having the ability to turn up the 115 until I felt that I was getting enough depth.

Remember, Mesa also has the Powerhouse 1000 cab... which is a 15" surrounded by four 10's. Could be a more convenient choice for you, since you play a lot of shows.

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah it all depends on what it is going to cost. i thought the 15 added a nice touch.

but, you were right, i played some shows, and i love it.