Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have seen the future

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Philbiker, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    And her name is Emily.

I was at a big neighborhood jam session on Saturday night, with many guitarrists, one drum set which was owned by one of them with many people switching out playing (including me many times), and a single bass player..... Me. To be fair, there was one guitar player who would play bass when I was on drums, that was helpful!

At one point someone got up and played guitar with his son (about 8) playing keyboards, a daughter (about 9-10) on drums, and another daughter (Emily, 11) on bass (a Danelectro Hodad). They played three songs, including Twist and Shout and Crazy Train! Emily sang and played Crazy Train. It really brought back memories for me as I was about her age when I started to play. I told her dad that he should get her some Talking Heads CDs, especially "'77".

I told her that she played great (she did quite well) and that I was about her age when I started playing. She had seen me play guitar and drums already, I said something to the effect of "bass is the funnest instrument, I can also play guitar and drums also, but the bass is just so much more fun to play", she responded "It's like the best of both!"

Wisdom does indeed come from the mouth of babes. I think Emily has a good understanding of the instrument.

Fun time. Brought my memories flooding back of my first playing days.

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I called up my long time drummer last night, who I haven't played with in a couple of months, due to commitments with several other groups. A few minutes into the call, his kid (age 7 or so) interrupts, and tells Dad that he'll be happy to sit in with Charlie if Dad's too busy. I'm going to make sure that happens very soon. :cool: