1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Is Needing a Battery Powered Amp for BUSKINGS!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ganky, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Ganky

Ganky

Nov 29, 2008
    Cambridge, England
    Yup, the title says it all. The only one I know of is the Roland microcube, do you think this is loud enough to busk with? Just looking for suggestions.

Also is it possible to plug my normal amp into an alternate portable power supply?

2. I've busked with a microcube many atime, Plenty loud.

3. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    Also, you can buy an inverter that plugs into a car cigarette lighter. Then you can plug in a 220v device to the inverter.

Just get one that is big enough.
    For example, if your amp uses 100 watts get at least a 150 watt inverter.

4. N8116B

N8116B

Jan 14, 2008
    Earth
    Only if a) you bought a 220VAC inverter and b) the device you are running needs 220VAC.

Most US devices are going to be 110VAC so a 100-120VAC inverter would do just fine.

But by the time you lug around a few car batteries to do this you may as well just have gotten a small quiet Honda generator.

I think for busking purposes the Roland micro-cube will do well enough. Something else to consider is to get an acoustic or an electro-acoustic and the micro-cube to just give you a little ummph.

5. Bofee

Bofee

Aug 19, 2005
    Grass Valley, CA
    I've used the Roland Micro Cube Bass Rx in a lot of situations, indoors and out, it works quite well. It's a surprising little amp. I also own a Pignose HOG and a Crate Taxi. The Roland sounds far better and will play cleanly at higher volume than either of those.

6. Bofee

Bofee

Aug 19, 2005
    Grass Valley, CA
    If you're looking for a guitar amp, both the Roland Micro Cube and the little Vox sound good and get plenty loud. A couple of guys I play with use them.

7. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    The Carvin Stagemate is 60 watts with a 2 way 1x10 or 100 watts with the 1x10 extension speaker.

8. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Crate TX30BE Taxi or TX50B Limo gets my vote. I think either one sounds better than the Roland.

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    That one works pretty well, and that's actually a driver that gets used in bass cabs.

10. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Another battery powered amp:

Traynor TVM50 (50 watts, 10" + 2" tweeter)

11. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Pignose Hog30 is another. I've got one.
    I wouldn't recommend it, though, and would suggest you try another.

12. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I've played my class d amp through a camping battery pack (motomaster eliminator) more than an hour longer than my buddy that was playing a fender deluxe.

13. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    ...through an identical battery pack...

14. biobass

biobass

Sep 16, 2007
    Princeton NJ area
    I have the Crate TX50B. For what it is, it is reasonably loud and sounds reasonably good.

However, I have had extensive trouble with mine. The first one had to be sent back to the factory within about 6 weeks of my owning it, after it just completely died on me. They sent me a new one (which arrived with some cosmetic shipping damage) which developed a horrible amplifier distortion in about the same time frame. I had to take this into NYC for the closest Crate authorized repair shop (I live in central NJ). It took them about 6 weeks to fix it. They said they were having trouble getting the repair parts from Crate.

I do have to commend Crate Customer Service though, every time they were extremely professional, helpful and courteous. The shipping for the first one and all the repairs were covered under warranty.

I have never pushed these at all hard in any way. Also, it wasn't cheap. I believe I paid nearly $400 for it about 6 years ago, but I could be wrong, I don't fully remember. Now, I will only use it for extremely casual things. I would never trust it on a paid gig or for anything serious.

But all in all, given the above, it does work well at the neighborhood backyard party, campground sing-a-long etc.

Cheers,
    Dennis

15. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Can you try a Roland? I have one, and think it would be ideal for what you want. About 10 hours on batteries (I use rechargeables, and this is what I get), and very nice models. Loud enough for busking, unless you need lots of volume.

16. David Morris

David Morris Supporting Member

May 22, 2002
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    The Phil Jones Bass Briefcase also can operate on 12v battery power. I have used one a few times on AC power, but never battery-powered. Great sound, not terribly loud but probably OK for busking purposes. Plus, it is very light weight - easily portable.

http://www.philjonespuresound.com/PJWeb11_Briefcase.aspx