I just slept for 13 hours.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, Jan 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. We shouldn't.

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. We don't.

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. Eat more carrots and fuhgeduhbowdit.

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  4. Seriously, we don't care.

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. Nope.

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. I sit around waiting with bated breath for Twofer to post his musings about nothing.

11 vote(s)
    35.5%
  1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yesterday I wasn't feeling 100%. I had no fever. No major stomach issues. No "symptoms" to speak of other than tired.

I had gotten my usual 6 hours +/- of sleep the night before.

But about 1:00 p.m. I hit the wall. I went from tired to exhausted. I powered through the rest of my work day, which included a 40 minute drive back to my office.

I usually get my kids around 4:40. But I had made it back to my office at 3:15. I texted my wife that I was ducking out a little early to grab a power nap, and asked if she could grab the kids. She agreed.

I got home and parked my truck about halfway down my almost 100 yard driveway. (I don't even remember that part.)

I went upstairs and got in bed (still dressed) at around 4:00 p.m. and DID NOT MOVE until my alarm went off at 5:20 a.m.

Today I feel fine.

My wife said she checked my temp a couple times while I was sleeping before she went to bed. Temp was fine.

It was the strangest thing.

I am that guy who can mentally power through even when I'm ridiculously tired. As long as I'm moving I can go all night. I recently worked 36 hours straight with a few breaks (and only two meals) to get a project over the finish line. (Edit for clarification: By "recently" I mean early December.... not recent enough to have any bearing here.)

I'm worried.

I feel fine. Blood pressure is fine. Temp is fine. Not short of breath. Nothing hurts.

But I hit a wall yesterday afternoon (under otherwise "normal" conditions) like I haven't in my entire life.

I guess I'm just bouncing it off you guys. I certainly wouldn't come to you goofballs for medical advice. :D

It was just weird.

By the way, last night was a really busy night with homework and volleyball practice. So bonus points to Mrs.Fingers for giving me the night off. Love that woman....

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    ak56 and Mr_Moo like this.
  2. You aint getting any younger Twofer! What we were capable of doing in our earlier years, can sometimes become a hill we can't climb as well when we get older. Your body is telling you something!
    Fishheadjoe

two fingers likes this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I require 9 hours/night to function normally.
    For two nights in a row I only got 8, but made up for it last night with 10 hours.

I didn't plan it, just decided I'd wake up when I woke up, no alarm.
    My internal clock gave me back those two hours I lost.

I'd suggest getting 8 hours/night instead of only 6.

two fingers likes this.
  4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Listen to your body.

5. rendevouz

rendevouz

Jan 8, 2013
    I'm not a doctor but I play one on tv and this may be your problem, thank you twofer that'll be 150 bucks:D

MonetBass, Goatrope and two fingers like this.
  6. 36 hour work day with the added stress = exhaustion. Don’t think it’s a big deal... I am often similar when I have a bout of insomnia, I can be nodding off at my desk

oZZma, MonetBass and two fingers like this.
  7. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    :roflmao:

Can I write you a check? :cool:

"Recently" was a month ago. So that lack of sleep went on December's sleep budget.

I'm not a doctor. But I had lunch with an accountant on TV.

Technically the accountant was on TV, and I had lunch near the TV.....

.....or maybe I had lunch with an actual accountant while a doctor was on TV?

Anyway, I'm an expert ever since the experience..... whatever the experience was. ;)

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    You're going to die.*

*eventually

Gaolee, ak56, JRA and 1 other person like this.
  9. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I can always count on you to boil it down, brother. :D

10. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Just your body's way of saying it needs a break.
    Unless it becomes a regular thing I wouldn't worry.
    If it does then clearly get yourself looked at...maybe get the wife to do more to help out...

And please don't show her that comment.
    I like a peaceful quiet life and really don't need some vengeful redneck valkyrie coming after me.
    :D

11. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    :roflmao:

You wouldn't last ten seconds. You have been warned. :eyebrow:

:wacky:

Oddly likes this.
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I read an article years ago about 'sleep debt', and how your body tracks the sleep it was deprived of. It will eventually demand 'payment' of that debt. I've experienced that too.
    As others mentioned, I think that's what you experienced.

-Mike

OldDog52 and two fingers like this.
  13. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I hope my body hasn't been charging me interest. If so, my twenties left me in such debt that I should go to bed now until I die. :cool:

Gaolee and MJ5150 like this.
  14. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Whenever I get sick (early signs of flu, a cold, general ague) I go to bed. My body will then dictate the sleep it needs (often a lot), and usually everything is fine in a day or so.
    Some people just need that.
    I usually get somewhere between 6 and 7 hours a night - and wake about the same time every morning without an alarm. With any sign of stress/illness that can become 18 hours with ease.
    If you're not making a habit of it, don't worry. It's your body telling you to sleep.

Old joke: "I haven't slept for five days....because that would be too long."

Gaolee and two fingers like this.
  15. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    This. Sleep deprivation is cumulative.

pie_man_25, two fingers and MJ5150 like this.
  16. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I'll add that you can't 'bank' sleep.

pie_man_25 and two fingers like this.
  17. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I'd have had to get up to pee six times in 13 hours.

Fishheadjoe and two fingers like this.
  18. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderators Local A440 Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Under the flight path
    Six hours of sleep (regular basis) is generally considered inadequate by medical peeps. Perhaps it's something you've managed to get away with for a long time, but if you're like most of the rest of us, you're probably not getting any younger. As we age, we get away with less (anybody's knees making that clear?) and it becomes prudent to get looked at for ever-more-minor ailments, because things that go on too long can get serious quickly.

I'm not a doctor, so take what I say with the same seriousness that you'd take from any random stranger on the internet. But my guess is that this, by itself, is not dire. I've had similar experiences, when I am just DONE and then sleep the clock around. A couple of times it has come on seemingly randomly, but mostly I've been able to say 'Well yeah I really did too much _____' or 'I guess that touch of indigestion got me worse than I thought' or something on further reflection. If you can't identify a potential cause here, it might be good to take this as a bit of a warning shot from your body, and pay some attention to eating well, staying adequately hydrated, and maybe even getting another half hour or so of sleep nightly.

If it happens again in the next few months, go get checked out.

two fingers likes this.
  19. Both of this. Sleep deprivation does weird things to a guy, whatever agree you may be. This might be a bit of a response to it. After this summer, my body was on the mend, add generally I was pretty good but out of nowhere I'd just get ungodly tired for an indefinite period of a few hours or so, and it'd take everything to stay awake, or even nap without violently snoring.

two fingers likes this.
  20. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    If my knees get any louder I'm going to need a bigger amp.
    Come to think of it, carrying around bigger bass amps for years is probably why my knees sound like they do.